upgradeitis

Discussion in 'Speakers & Subwoofers' started by MarkMaximus, Oct 25, 2003.

1. MarkMaximus

MarkMaximus Stunt Coordinator

Hello everyone, I'm curious about an upgrade path.
    I currently have the following setup:

2 JBL S310's
    JBL S-center
    2 JBL S26's
    driven by a AVR 525

I was wondering what a logical "next step" system would be.
    I'm willing to spend upwards of 4-5K. Thanks for your input.

2. Keith*D

Keith*D Agent

If I were in your position I would get a good sub (SVS, Hsu, Adire) and get an amp to power those speakers and see what that does. Actually, depending on your video situation I would worry about the amp later, or even start over and create a 2 channel music system.

What do you WANT the most, what do you feel that your current system lacks? Start there.

Keith

3. John Garcia

John Garcia Executive Producer

John
    More music or movies?

With ~$4K, from an audio standpoint, I'd replace all the speakers (my personal opinion) and, as mentioned, pick up a sub from SVS, HSU or Adire.

You didn't mention a sub, and without one, even with the 310s, you are missing much of the bottom octave.

4. Kenneth Harden

Kenneth Harden Screenwriter

$1000 sub (like a SVS box sub)
    $1000 receiver (Denon 3803 or the like)
    $2000ish for speakers (Klipsch RF-35 system, my opinion [​IMG])

5. RichardH

RichardH Supporting Actor

What's your TV? Personally I think a lot of people spend way too much on the audio portion compared to the video. I'd rather watch a 50" DLP w/ JBL NSP1 speakers than watch a 36" Trinitron w/ Paradigm Reference speakers.

I would get some Hsu or SVS (however much you want to spend) and then upgrade your TV. If you don't already have an awesome TV, I bet upgrading it instead of the audio portion would yield a greater enhancement of your HT experience.

6. DonnyD

DonnyD Screenwriter

I concur with most of the above especially about getting a good sub to add that low end to your system.
    Personally, I think that upgrading your current speakers will get you very little improvement, if any.... and the receiver is also a good one but an external amp may help.

I buy and sell a LOT of speakers and amps just to check them out..... yeah I know that is an expensive way to do it....... but it is a hobby you know. BUT.....out of more than a dozen brands that I have tried over this ten years, I still run my old JBL L100 as mains and the JBL S-Center along with JBL Sats as double rear center.....

Out of all that I've tried over the years, the most significant improvements I made was adding a SVS sub and some bass shakers and going to a HDTV.....

7. John Garcia

John Garcia Executive Producer

John
    $2-2.5K worth of good speakers should get you a significant improvement over the JBLs.

8. Chris Quinn

Chris Quinn Screenwriter

"That's one opinion, but I'm in the good speakers/average TV group, because I'd much rather hear great speakers than watch a nicer TV. I would never be happy with something as unsubstantial as the NSP1s."

Amen.

9. Fred G

Fred G Agent

" That's one opinion, but I'm in the good speakers/average TV group, because I'd much rather hear great speakers than watch a nicer TV. I would never be happy with something as unsubstantial as the NSP1s. To each their own. "

I'm in the 'speaker group' as well. I think speakers are more important (to a certain extent) because they also play your music.

10. Jerome Grate

Jerome Grate Cinematographer

Depending on room configuration, you may want to go 7.1, certainly upgrade the HK 525 to the 7200 model that has 7 channels of power, then use your existing speakers to get the Surround back l/r. Then go to the speaker sites like Audioadvisor and pick some speakers for your fronts and surrounds. Finally, I agree with the SVS, or Adire or HSU subs. It's my understanding that the 7200 is the only model that applies Logic 7 to Dolby Digital and DTS.

11. MarkMaximus

MarkMaximus Stunt Coordinator

My AVR 525 does provide 7 channels, as well as Logic 7, I don't know if it applies it to DTS or not, because I don't have 7 speakers so I don't use the function. I do not have a subwoofer, and have contemplated getting one, I know everyone gives SVS and HSU alot of lip service, and I am sure that these are great companies. My JBL's do sound excellent. I have also thought about just completing the 7 channels, but I don't know if my room really needs it. It isn't extraordinarily large, and I think if I tried to guess the dimensions it would be wrong. Thankyou all for your input and I will put your thoughts in consideration for future plans.

12. Stephen Hopkins

Stephen Hopkins HW Reviewer
    HW Reviewer

The 7200 does not apply Logic 7 to DTS and DD tracks. The only HK model to ever do that was the older flagship 8000, and most think it's ability to do this was an engineering oversight because that feature has been saved for the Loqic 7 used by Lexicon in their pre-pros.

If your video is set i would go w/ speakers, sub, and external amp for the mains...

If video is lacking, i'd go half video and half speakers/sub...

13. Andy_Steb

Andy_Steb Stunt Coordinator

It sounds to me that you enjoy your current system, and have $4000 dollars to blow on more toys.
    Stop contemplating on a sub, for HT this should be first. Go to SVS and spend your first thousand.
    I recently purchased a Denon 2900, big improvement in audio and video over my $300 Sony. There goes another thousand.
    I have a 525 and have used both 5.1 and 7.1, the last two Star Wars movies sound fantastic in 7.1 and that’s about all the movies it made a difference, I went back to 5.1. I wouldn’t waist the money on the other two speakers.
    With the remaining two to three thousand.
    For HT, a two or three channel amp and a new center.
    For music, a good two channel amp and two new mains.

14. gregD

gregD Second Unit

I'd take it a step further... ditch the TV altogether, and enjoy music!

That said, is it movies? Or music? Or both?... If it's only movies, a speaker upgrade won't likely yield much improvement... except a sub, which is a must for movies.

If it's music, go for it.... there is absolutely nothing wrong with JBL (am a happy owner of an old pair of floorstanders with JBL drivers), but speakers vary in sonic characteristics so much that's it's worth an exploratory to find that magic music experience, if you're in a position to do so.

By all means, get that sub first (the usual suspects: Hsu, Adire, SVS).

And since you asked for the opinion, audition these makes if possible: Monitor Audio, Totem, Dali, NHT... and there's a bunch of others.

15. Ernest Yee

Ernest Yee Supporting Actor

16. NicholasTS

NicholasTS Stunt Coordinator

I have something people might want to try...
    • Watch your favorite DVD on the nicest TV you can with the sound muted.
    • Now, turn your TV off, close your eyes and just listen to the soundtrack.
    • Now, tell me which situation affected you more...

17. NicholasTS

NicholasTS Stunt Coordinator

The response to the above post should pertain to the side of home theater in which the most money should be invested.