Upgradeitis has hit! Opinions on these DVD players needed.

Discussion in 'Playback Devices' started by Brian Harnish, Jan 25, 2006.

1. Brian Harnish

Brian Harnish Screenwriter

Hello, ladies and gents! Before getting into my new place, I've decided to treat myself to a home theater system upgrade. Namely, upgrading my DVD player. I have a Toshiba SD-4700 DVD player. How will the following rate improvement-wise over my SD-4700? I'm planning on keeping my DVD Player upgrade in the $700 - $1000 range.

Denon DVD-2910
    Pioneer Elite DV-79AVi

EDIT: Almost forgot to add the components of my home theater! Here they are:

Toshiba 42H82 (could be H83...not sure) TV set
    Onkyo TXS-R601 Receiver
    Infinity Primus 250 Speakers
    Infinity Primus C25 Center channel
    Kenwood Surrounds

2. Jerome Grate

Jerome Grate Cinematographer

If the Toshiba is a wide screen, then I would certainly recommend a upconverting player if the ones you've listed don't upscale video to 1080i. In your case you need either HDMI or a player that will upscale via component. Certainly the price range you are dealing with makes you a candidate for HD-DVD or Blue-Ray if one of the formats have a player that will display via component 1080i.

3. Andrew Pratt

Andrew Pratt Producer

Of those two take the Pioneer as its very highly rated, has no macroblocking and will output 480i over HDMI which is nice if you ever want to add an external scalar. Onyko's SP-1000 is very nice as well if you can find a used one.

If video is your only priority look at the Oppo. Its got one of the best images available via its HDMI output and its very cheap (~$200).

4. Dick Knisely

Dick Knisely Second Unit

Frankly either one would IMHO be just fine. Pick on the basis of a specific capability one has that the other doesn't, how well you think you'll like the remote, or something like that.

However, the player you've got is a good one. For straight playback of DVD's don't expect miracles. I'd bet money the difference is going to be smaller than you might like. Personally, I'd probably save the money and wait until later this year to see how the HD DVD mess sorts out.

5. Nathan_R

Nathan_R Supporting Actor

I own the Denon 2910, and I'm in the process of replacing it with the Pioneer DV-79avi. Frankly, with my display (Mits 52628), the macroblocking of the 2910 is horribly unacceptable. Of course, this is a flaw with all Faroudja-based players, and Denon isn't to blame in particular.

Long story short, if your display is susceptible to macroblocking, stay away from the Denon. Otherwise, it's a great player.