What's new

Upgraded to XP - WOW!!! (2 Viewers)

Kelley_B

Senior HTF Member
XP is the finest OS to come from Microsoft, even better than 2000. Sure its power hungry but if you feed it enough juice it runs like a champ.

Still MacOS X.1 is still the best thing around IMHO.

Chris Tsutsui

Screenwriter
Kevin, that 600mhz PentiumIII wouldn't happen to be a 600E which has 100mhz FSB.
If it is, I managed to get a 50% mhz increase by overclocking mine with stock cooling. I've been running mine at 840mhz for the past 2 years with no problems.
My computer system

MathewM

Stunt Coordinator
hmmm....

I gave up on the windows platform about 9 months ago, switching over to the Mac. Was fed up. I gave up on Microsoft after two attempts to get a decent operating system (95-98; never tried Millenium or 2000). I've always felt that I was Mac user at heart and before that an Amiga user, but never had the funds to switch platforms (parents reared me on early dos - windows).

Mac OS 10 is great. It has another generation or two before it reaches it's full potential but right now it's fully usable and so elegant. XP on the other hand....well I suppose it depends on your system. My dad has a P3 running at 933 and aside from web browsing, XP feels very rough. His USB mouse doesn't like to work half the time, requiring you to re-plug (is this considered plug and play?). Also XP tends to forget TCP/router settings requiring you to completely reconfigure it to work. I don't like the interface, it just feels cheap. X on Mac feels robust. Things work, and if they don't there usually is a simple solution. Also the included Apps on the Mac are wonderful compared to the chintzy crap that Microsoft gives you. And as the latest ad slogan proclaims...."Everything is easier on a Mac"

Talal

Stunt Coordinator
For those who have upgraded to XP from ME...

Does it still run smoothly without a clean installation?

I have a system that can easily handle XP, but theres too much stuff on my drive to delete... i just can't do that.

Masood Ali

Supporting Actor
It would be a horrid mistake upgrading from ME, considering the fact that your drive is FAT32 formatted and XP thrives on an NTFS formatted drive.

I always clean install. You'd be better off sticking with ME, despite how inferior it may be.

Gary King

Second Unit
It's good to see people are *finally* switching to NT-derived operating systems, rather than sticking with technology that's over 20 years old.

XP is a prettier operating system than 2K, and it does offer some compatibility improvements for some programs; however, it's not a tremendous improvement over what we 2K users have had for the past 2 years.

I gave up on Microsoft after two attempts to get a decent operating system (95-98; never tried Millenium or 2000)
Well that's your mistake. Windows 95/98/ME have always been the bastard children of Microsoft operating systems, and Microsoft's been trying to get rid of them for years. Win NT/2K/XP are fine operating systems.

MathewM

Stunt Coordinator
Well that's your mistake. Windows 95/98/ME have always been the bastard children of Microsoft operating systems, and Microsoft's been trying to get rid of them for years. Win NT/2K/XP are fine operating systems.
And your point is? Why did MS try to pawn off it's illegitmate children on me? I wasted roughly seven years of my life trying to work with Microsoft's 'bastard children' and they were nothing but trouble, rarely behaving. I'm not bullshitting, 98 crashed my computer the first time I attempted to install it. Recently I couldn't even get XP to install properly on my dad's pc. He had to take it the local pc fix-it shop for installation. It's funny that you brought up the child metaphor. I should of been arrested for child abuse. I must of kicked and cursed my windows computer hundreds of times in retalliation for its misbehavior. You see my point. Why did I not use NT/2k? Those two OS did not comply with what I was using my computer for at the time. From what I understood, software would only work if it was specifically written for NT/2k.

The Mac is a complete package. One OS for all. Not like MS intentionally dumbing down the cheaper version.

Masood Ali

Supporting Actor
OS X is a great OS, but it serves a minority of the PC users out there.

For the rest of us, OS X isn't an option, and XP/2000 work fine.

And one more not for those having OS problems; in my experience trouble-shooting PCs for friends and family over the last few years, 80% of the time, the problem was caused by hardware incompatibilities or user error. Meaning it wasn't MS's fault; it was either the result of poor drivers, poor hardware, or human error.

MathewM

Stunt Coordinator
And one more not for those having OS problems; in my experience trouble-shooting PCs for friends and family over the last few years, 80% of the time, the problem was caused by hardware incompatibilities or user error. Meaning it wasn't MS's fault; it was either the result of poor drivers, poor hardware, or human error.
Microsoft's way of nipping this in the bud is just to make XP un-upgradable which basically kills the whole "pc's are cheaper than Macs" argument.

In actuallity Microsoft really wants to be like Apple. This is in evidence with the Xbox in terms of proprietary hardware and XP is so overly friendly acting (the only thing missing is a smiling computer face. whoops Apple probably has a copywrite.)

Masood Ali

Supporting Actor
Microsoft's way of nipping this in the bud is just to make XP un-upgradable which basically kills the whole "pc's are cheaper than Macs" argument.
Not quite sure what you're talking about here. Could you explain.

As far as Gator, that's a nasty little spyware program that installs itself with certain programs. Download Ad-Aware to remove it completely from your system.

MathewM

Stunt Coordinator
Masood, I was refering to XPs one copy to one computer configuration. The fact that if you upgrade your hardrive, graphics card or processor, XP might think you are attempting to install on a different system and shut down.

You surely know that what really won the OS war years ago was not 'which is better' but price.

Masood Ali

Supporting Actor
The simple solution, of course, it to crack your version of XP. I'm not promoting piracy, but simply saying that if you bought XP, you can crack it to remove the registration necessary for each computer.

MS doesn't like it, but as long as you still bought their software nobody cares.

MathewM

Stunt Coordinator
The simple solution, of course, it to crack your version of XP. I'm not promoting piracy, but simply saying that if you bought XP, you can crack it to remove the registration necessary for each computer.
MS doesn't like it, but as long as you still bought their software nobody cares.
You just pointed out one of the exact reasons why I hate windows. Why should I have to hack an OS just so it will work?
:rolleyes: Thats rediculous. The personal computer is supposed to be a modern tool to be used to make life easier. I suppose this is one of the reasons why there are so many wintel viruses and next to nil for the Mac.

Masood Ali

Supporting Actor
Nobody's forcing you to hack your computer. Even if you did register with MS, it takes a 5 minute phone call to get a new activation code if you happen to change your hardware configuration.

Anways, I'd take a sub-$1000 2GHz+ P4/Geforce3/WinXP system over Apple's sub-$1000 offerings anyday. Sub-$1000 PCs are the fastest growing segment in PC sales, and that's an area Apple doesn't excel in.

Brian Bowles

Second Unit
I did not hack my computer and it runs great. I have windows xp running with no problems at all. I have built about 15 computer recently for other people. Currently 5 of them are using the home edition of xp that they purchased when they go the parts. All are running great. It sounds like your dad's computer has some issues. Something is not right with it. I think you might want to place the blame on the hardware companies that did not upgrade their devices so that they would work with xp. Dont get me wrong MAC is a nice product too. It just costs more for each part you buy there are much much less programs that run on it. I guess it depends on what you are going to do with your computer and how much you want to spend.

MathewM

Stunt Coordinator
Anways, I'd take a sub-$1000 2GHz+ P4/Geforce3/WinXP system over Apple's sub-$1000 offerings anyday. Sub-$1000 PCs are the fastest growing segment in PC sales, and that's an area Apple doesn't excel in.
This only applies if:

A) You are buying the parts and building it yourself.

B) You are buying some no name slapped together hunk of junk with little or no warranty.

C) Purchased through a local Brick and Mortar (ie Best Buy) that requires you to purchase a year of 56k MSN service at $25 a month (ie ripoff).

I figured out awhile back that I resent trouble shooting PC's. It's just not fun. So that basically cancels out A.

I want quality and style in my product, not some crappy rip-off that will crap out on me next time I upgrade. This cancels out B. I'm a broadband believer and don't think I could go back to dial-up again. Email and yahoo chat is about all it's good for (ie no C).

I agree that Apple has some problems in the low-end market (and the high end server market as well). They can't really compete with emachines, because emachines are crap. The market also dictates that people will gobble crap up if it's fed to them the right way. It's all buisiness. MS realizes by offering a $400 rebate through hardware manufactures they pass the buck to the users forcing them to use their MSN service. More MSN customers=more advertising=more revenue. You're not really saving any money at all.

Listen, I'm done arguing the merits of either system. It's really quite a waste of time and energy. Use what's best for you. End of Line.

Lee Scoggins

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lee
Matthew is right...this can be a drain of energy.

I will say one thing: Apple's design department is awesome. I saw the new iMac yesterday at CompUSA and just about drooled. It is beautiful and the new Aqua operating system is really cool and user friendly. I have a nice IBM setup and love my Thinkpad, but I was very tempted to buy one for the house.

I wish PC makers would be more original in their designs.

Lee

Thom B

Stunt Coordinator
...I was refering to XPs one copy to one computer configuration. The fact that if you upgrade your hardrive, graphics card or processor, XP might think you are attempting to install on a different system and shut down.
This isn't entirely accurate. In order to flag the registration, you'd need to change ~40% of your hardware. Swapping a HD or installing a new video card isn't going to initiate reactivation.

Glenise

Supporting Actor
This is the problem I have with the Windows XP Home Edition:

-----------------------------

Quote from: Masood Ali

Even if you did register with MS, it takes a 5 minute phone call to get a new activation code if you happen to change your hardware configuration.

------------------------------

What happens when Microsoft stops supporting Windows XP?

Can you still call the 800 number to get a new activation code?

What if someone isn't fortunate enough and can't afford to get a new pc every three years.

I guess they are SOL.

Ex. An elderly person who is on a fixed income.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks