What's new

Upgraded to XP - WOW!!! (1 Viewer)

Kevin_Graham

Stunt Coordinator
I have been completely frustrated with my computer for almost a year. The games I played would either crash or not load at all. I can't even begin to guess at the number of times I tried re-installing just to get a few moments of gameplay. After looking into purchasing a new computer, a friend recommended I try upgrading Windows 98 to XP first. Last night I stopped by Costco and picked up the home version for $95. After installation I couldn't believe the difference! My computer now boots up much quicker and surfing the web is much smoother and faster. I tried one of the 'problem' games and it now works perfectly! After work I'll try the rest of the games. This may be the best upgrade I've made!

System:

Pentium III 600mhz

128 MB ram

Aopen GeForce2 64MB

Bill Balcziak

Supporting Actor
Despite all the naysayers, XP is easily the best OS I've used, and I've used 'em all...NextOS, BeOS, Mac, Linux, DOS, AppleDOS, Win 3.x, Win95, Win98, WinNT, WinME, Win2k...and this one really shines.

Bill Balcziak

Supporting Actor
I used to be a die-hard Mac fanatic.

I owned a Mac 512 in 1985 with one floppy drive for storage (remember floppy switching, anybody?) and fought the good fight for nearly a decade. I came thisclose to losing my job more than once because of fights over Macintosh superiority.

What did it get me?

Nothing. In the 90s, Apple started pissing all over its users with profoundly bad hardware, high prices, and a truly horrible, bug-ridden series of OS "upgrades."

I finally had enough and started using a Win 3.x system and never turned back. It was a good decision, and I don't regret it.

Steve_Ch

Supporting Actor
XP may be the best MS OS, but for somebody like myself that does not do games, video or any heavy duty graphics. W2K is a much better choice. I brought a full retail version of W2K when it first came out and since then I've upgraded my computer inside out, totally no fuzz with W2K. As I understand it, you need to reactivate XP if you change enough of your hardware. It's really none of MS's business if I want to rip half my system out and change it to something else.

Joseph S

Senior HTF Member
Bill, I see you included Mac OS in your list. I have no opinion on the matter, but I sure hope you're set to be beseiged by angry Macolytes!
Ask and you shall receive. :D
Ahhh. Home at last in Mac OS X. I'm back in the crash and restart free zone, where there is no need to reinstall drivers for the card I moved only one PCI slot down.
Land of the "Yes, sir I can re-format that transplanted drive for you in just 1 step" and "Of course I can read a Fat32 formatted Firewire HD."
htf_images_smilies_yum.gif

I think I can now write the book on how to successfully update Radeon VE Drivers in Win2K with Power Strip in under 1.5 hours. Still can't get Dig Aud out in HiPix with Win98 and Win2K keeps forgetting which monitor has the overlay, but I'm done with that fiddling around for another week or so. There's no way I'm going to XP on my HTPC unless they drop the DNA test requirement. ;)

Thomas Newton

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Thomas Newton
In the 90s, Apple started pissing all over its users with profoundly bad hardware, high prices, and a truly horrible, bug-ridden series of OS "upgrades."

I remember very high prices for color Macs, especially ones with multiple Nubus slots, but not "profoundly bad hardware" or "truly horrible, bug-ridden OS upgrades." If you look at Apple's current line, they've got very good hardware (iBook, TiBook, new iMac, iPod, even the G4 minitowers), much of which sells for very competitive prices.

Bill Balcziak

Supporting Actor
If you look at Apple's current line...
Too little, too late. Compare the specs to a Dell and there's NO contest. Sorry, but it's an easy choice anymore.

(And I believe it was the notorious IBM Pc Jr.--aka: "Complete POS"--that had the cassette drive.)

Thomas Newton

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Thomas Newton
Here's one reference for the cassette tape interface in the IBM PC.
Old-Computers.Com / IBM PC Model 5150
The IBM PC Jr would have had the cassette tape interface, a Chicklet keyboard, and limitations on expandability to keep it from being a competitor with the regular PC.
It is interesting to note that of the three microprocessors available to them (Intel 8088, Intel 8086, Motorola 68000), IBM chose the one that was the least powerful, and that had the most painful programming model (you had to use segments to access more than 64KB of memory).

Gary Harris

Stunt Coordinator
I've been running ME on this HP Pavilion that I bought last Spring & I wasn't sure if it was the OS or the hardware that was causing all the crashes (at least once a day). About 3 weeks ago I upgraded to XP & OH MY GOD! This is the way a computer is suppose to work. It hasn't been shut off in 3 weeks & not one crash; very stable. Although I still think that anyone that bought a system with ME on it should have been given a free copy of XP by Microsoft for emotional stress inflicted.

Steve_Ch

Supporting Actor
>>Although I still think that anyone that bought a system with ME on it should have been given a free copy of XP by Microsoft for emotional stress inflicted.

KeithAP

Screenwriter
Real Name
Keith
I am also very happy with XP.

Kevin, if you can afford it, buy some extra memory for that machine ASAP. You should notice a difference with XP if you put in an additional 128MB or 256MB.

-Keith

Francois Caron

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
François Caron
Kudos on all that's been said up to now. XP is much more reliable and stable than any of the previous flavours of Windows. With a bit of time and a few Windows Updates, the remaining bugs will be resolved.

Unless you already have OVER 256 MB of memory loaded in your computer, a memory upgrade is strongly recommended. If possible, fill up your computer with as much memory as it can handle. Memory prices are still reasonable although they do seem to be increasing based on what my office paid for a 256 MB module for my Thinkpad a few months ago, and what the same memory module costs today ($72 today at Crucial.com instead of $50 last year).

Steve_Ch

Supporting Actor
You are right!!!. The last time I looked for my TP, it was about $50, but I just went over to Crucial, it's now $71.

MikeSerrano

Second Unit
So I take it none of you have tried Windows 2000? Win2k is all the Windows I'll ever need--it is for all intents and purposes XP without the bloat.

My next OS will probably be Mac OS X as soon as there is no real need to run the Classic environment (reasonable selection of X native software, and more X native USB drivers)--probably with next year or two.

If I need to run any Windows apps (which I hope won't be too often), I'll just fire up Virtual PC running Win2k.

-Mike

Brian Bowles

Second Unit
Mike Windows 2000 is a great operating system. Windows XP as I am sure you are aware uses the main core files from it so they are very similar in appearance. I have been building computers for some people on the side and there are a few comments I would like to make. Windows XP gives the user more control over their computer. Also there are very few updates that need to be downloaded since it is a newer operating system. I also think it is much better for people who are not real computer savy. Now with all that said I would also like to make the point that for many people there is no reason to upgrade if you already have windows 2000 and are happy. Windows 2000 works with games too. Although I do like the restore feature of Windows XP for new users. Windows ME sucks plain and simple and Windows 98 is just "behind the times".

Lee Scoggins

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lee
I also have had great success with Windows XP.

Great interface and it never crashes!

My highest recommendation.`

Just check for driver compatibilities and you are good to go.

Lee

Glenise

Supporting Actor
I agree with Steve CH:

It's really none of MS's business if I want to rip half my system out and change it to something else.

I'm using Windows 2K and love it.

The only way I will purchase another Windows OS is if the activation feature is disabled.

I guess that means I'll be running Windows 2K for a very long time.

I'm a techie and like to tinker with my pc.

:b

Andre F

Screenwriter
Count me in as a fan of XP. I've had it since December and it hasn't crashed yet!

-Andre F

Rob Gillespie

Senior HTF Member
I prefer 2000 Pro. XP is too pretty and gimmicky for my liking, even with all of the 'fancy' features turned off. I don't need an OS that wants to hold my hand, kiss my arse and run slower in the process.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Joshua32
Recent bookmarks