What's new

Upgraded to HD DVR Directv but I problems (1 Viewer)

Joe_on

Stunt Coordinator
MOst of the shows I am seeing is w/the ratio of 16:9 and I was explained by Tech support that most HD are 16:9 but my problem is that the shows that are not HD are still 16:9 with the bars above and below.
And I cant eliminate them. The HD remote has a ratio button but doesnt change anything.

I have a 3 year old Sony 36XBR800 and it doesnt have a screen button or zoom. Can anyone help? BTW, I kept my old tivo and both(HD and the old tivo) are hooked up to the TV, and in the old tivo , I get 4:3 ratio.

A sidebar question, most channels like CBS next to name it say SAT.and the next channel is Ant. next to the CBS name. I have an antenna in the attic. They(directv) said that I can get HD w/my antenna for local channels.

Does that mean that when a CBS show says HD when available, should I be getting HD thru my SAT. (live in LOs Angeles) or does that mean I have to change the channel to Antenna?

Robert_J

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
ALL HD is 16x9 or 1.78:1. If you are watching a 2.35:1 movie on a station that is broadcasting in HD, then it will have the black bars. There are other situations where networks broadcast SD on an HD channel and you get sidebars. Give some specific examples of what you are seeing.

For your second question, what DirecTV hardware are you using and what type of antenna do you have? LA has the Big 4 networks available in HD via satellite as long as you subscribe to the local package. With an antenna, you can also get the Big 4 plus a bunch of other digital channels.

-Robert

Joe_on

Stunt Coordinator
My hardware is the Directv HD unit Hughes model 10-250 and my antenna is a regular antenna in the attic.

Robert_J

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Great. We both have a standard def DirecTivo and a HR10-250 but you still haven't given me any programs that you are questioning their aspect ratio. There are tons of different settings so that will help narrow down my answer.

As for the channel numbers. I have ME3 listed in my guide for Memphis channel 3 (WREG). Directly below it in the guide, I have WREG-DT which is the same channel on in digital (sometimes HD). If your receiver is set up correctly, all you have to do is change channels to get the HD version. Since you are in LA, there should be some network channels in the 80's and 90's like CBSW (CBS west) that you are getting as well. (If you aren't there may be a chance that you are in an overlapping market area and you would need a waiver from the other stations.) If your OTA channels aren't coming in, you need to check your receiver's setup to make sure your zip code is entered. Also check and make sure you configured the receiver to use the antenna. Finally, are you sure you have the correct antenna pointed in the correct direction?

-Robert

Joe_on

Stunt Coordinator
My OTA are coming in, my question is that for sure I am getting HD in my HBO and Showtime channels but I am not sure I am getting HD in my local channels. I understand that LA will be getting HD by the end of the year but when I am watching most local channels it says:
HD when available. I have the HD receiver, the dish and a OTA antenna and I am wondering if I can get these channels.

BTW, when I talked to Directv , one said I should b/c I have the antenna and one said no, b/c I dont have a HD or special antenna.

Robert_J

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
You are already getting HD via satellite. The Big 4 networks are available to you. The channels are in the 80's.

-Robert

Charlie Campisi

Screenwriter
When my installers came to do my hd tivo, they forgot to enable the ota tuners and also go through the setup guide where you plug in your zip code and it adds the local digital ota channels to the program guide. Maybe that is what is going on here and he just doesn't have his local ota digitals enabled?

Joe_on

Stunt Coordinator
Good point. In the setting there is a section called OTA, I am a little nervous messing w/things I dont know much about but I can give it a try.

Charlie Campisi

Screenwriter

Yup, but the discussion moved on without it being addressed and Joe seems to be relying that the installers did it right. :)

You need to get comfortable going through the menus and setting it up yourself. They are pretty straightforward, although sometimes things aren't exactly where you'd expect them.

The installers oftentimes don't know what they are doing, especially with the hr10-250 which until a month ago wasn't all that common. In addition to not enabling my OTA tuners, they also neglected to enable the digital audio output. Basically, all they did for me was plug in my box, check to make sure the satellite tuners worked and steal my HDMI and HDMI-DVI cables. Nothing like a free install! Go through the guided setup. You don't have to change anything if you don't want to, but look and see how everything is set.

Joe_on

Stunt Coordinator
You right , I will see if my OTA have been enabled. The worse that could happen is that I have to call tech support again and get their help. I will try it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks