Upgraded Speakers, Should I Upgrade Sub, maybe SVS or HSU?

Discussion in 'Speakers' started by Allan*C, Nov 24, 2003.

1. Allan*C

Allan*C Agent

First of all, I'd like to thank everyone on the forum that helped me with speaker suggestions. I had never heard of Onix or ACI speakers before and I ended up replacing my B&W CDM1SE speakers with ACI Panorama for front, Essence center and Sapphires for rear. They sound fantastic and Mike from ACI was a pleasure to deal with. The service was excellent. I also purchased an Anthem AVM 20, which I also never knew about before the forum. The difference is not subtle.

My question concerns the sub. I currently have a B&W ASW 2000 that I bought about 4 years ago. It's in my theater room (about 2500 cubic feet)with the rest of the new gear. Should I consider upgrading it? I've noticed when there is heavy bass demand, particularly the Darla tapping the glass scene in Nemo, that a rattling sound comes from it. This can't be very good for the sub. Should I consider a SVS PB2 plus or an HSU VTF-3R? How about a Paradigm Servo 15? Any other comments or suggestions?

Thanks again

2. CurtisSC

CurtisSC Screenwriter

NICE SETUP!!! Which finish did you get? I have a pair of ACI Sapphires right now on loan...they are breaking in very nicely.

Have you thought about ACI's subs? They are suppose to be extremely nice too.

The Hsu VTF-3R is on sale right now for $849 via the AVSForum. The new VTF-3MKII is due out soon as well at $799.

You might want to contact Brian Bunge of Rutledge Audio Design. He should be able to much the finish of the speakers pretty closely with a custom sub.

3. Allan*C

Allan*C Agent

Curtis,

I got Rosewalnut mainly because my wife chose the color! I though tabout ACI, but I use the theater for movies 75% of the time and when I listen to music I tend to do so in two channel with the sub off. The Panoramas are great for that. Also the B&W is a good music sub. That's why I thought a more HT inclined sub might be better. What's the difference in the VTF-3MKII?

Thanks

4. CurtisSC

CurtisSC Screenwriter

From I can recall from the Hsu Forum:

Piano Black finish
    downfiring
    more powerful amp

I think those are the major changes.

I have heard the Panoramas....they do have pretty good bass already.

5. Allan*C

Allan*C Agent

Well, I ordered a SVS PB2+. HSU recommended a TN1220HO which would mot fit in my room as well as a box.

Problem is delivery for Christmas is questionable [​IMG]

So now I'm wondering if a pair of Velodyne CHT 15s, same cost or a HGX 15 for more money would work as well.

My B&W seems to be covered under warranty, so I'll see about getting it fixed and moving it to another system in my house. It doesn't seem to be capable of the bass output required in today's movies.

6. CurtisSC

CurtisSC Screenwriter

You must have a big room!

That TN1220HO's clean/tight bass would go well with the ACI's.

good luck on the hunt!

7. RichardH

RichardH Supporting Actor

Stick w/ the SVS you have on order. I doubt you'll be disappointed. You'll have 45 days to decide! If you need more, there's always the PB2-Ultra [​IMG]

8. MikeLi

MikeLi Supporting Actor

I'll second the PB2+.. I replaced dual NHT's for it and there is not even a close comparison. The SVS kicks butt and I mean clean butt!