upgraded my speakers

Discussion in 'Speakers & Subwoofers' started by Ken Bock, Feb 6, 2006.

1. Ken Bock

Ken Bock Auditioning

I recently upgraded my system from the Polk Audio R series to the RTi series. It now consists of fronts: RTi8, center: CSi5, surrounds: FXi5, and a new sub: Velodyne DLS3750R. I'm using a Denon AVR-2805 to run them. It's night and day compared to what I had. I used the Radio Shack SPL meter to calibrate them: FL +0.5, C -0.5, FR 0.0, Surrounds +1.5. I have the sub at 0.0 and settings on the sub at Low Pass Crossover 120hz, High Pass Crossover at 80hz. The sub cable is going from the sub pre out on the receiver to the LFE IN input on the sub. The crossover is set to 80hz in the receiver. Basically I'm looking for any input from you guys that I'm getting the most out of my system. I don't have a lot of experiece setting up a subwoofer, at least a good one anyway. Any suggestions or comments would be appreciated.

2. SethH

SethH Cinematographer

Do you have a calibration disc like Avia or did you use the test tones on your receiver? Avia might improve things a little.

Some more advanced stuff that might make your system sound a little better would be charting the FR of your sub in your room and then, depending on the results, purchasing an equalizer to flatten your response.

3. Ken Bock

Ken Bock Auditioning

used the Sound and Vision Home Theater Test disc. Maybe I'm an idiot but I found the subwoofer test confusing.

4. SethH

SethH Cinematographer

Nope, you're not an idiot. Do a couple searches on this forum. I'm pretty sure than Ed Mullen (Edward JM) has posted some information on calibrating a subwoofer, and he definitely knows his stuff and does a great job of explaining things.