Upgraded from Win ME to Win XP. Questions

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Neil Joseph, Apr 2, 2002.

1. Neil Joseph

Neil Joseph Lead Actor

Neil Joseph
    I made the upgrade last night. I have 2 questions.

1- I am/was using outlook express 6 for my e-mails. My address book was restored automatically ok but I lost all of my old e-mails. How can I restore the e-mails. I know you can do a restore but I don't know the directory to look for where the old e-mails are stored.

2- I was using Adaptec CD to create my CD's and burn/copy CD's etc. Apparently that does not work with WinXp. Is there a similar program available for WinXP. I would hve thought that would be a part of the operating system at least. How can I create my CD's again?

Thanks in advance

2. Iain Lambert

Iain Lambert Screenwriter

Neil,

For the full Outlook (I can't comment on Express) the email folder files are named with a .pst extension - do a search for *.pst and see what you can find.

As for CD burning, I believe that the current version of Nero works ok under XP. Much of the forum swear by the program, myself included, and in any case there is a free 30-day trial version to see what you think of it.

hope this helps,

Iain

3. JasenP

JasenP Screenwriter

Jasen
    Neil I know for sure that you will have to re-install Adaptec to get it working again.

If I recall in Outlook you'll have to import the e-mails using the import function in Outlook. I can't remember exactly what the file extention is maybe .pst?

Good luck!

4. Neil Joseph

Neil Joseph Lead Actor

Neil Joseph
    Actually, I have a 3rd question. How does snapshop work? It takes a snapshot of the files on your drives so that you can restore your system to how it was at that time. It takes the snapshot so quickly. If the data becomes toast then, how could you possibly restore the system then? Would it not take a long time to save the original data. I don't see how a little snapshot could do this, does it work reliably?

5. Shayne Lebrun

Shayne Lebrun Screenwriter

Look for .dbx files; they'll be your outlook files. Then you can 'import from mail store' in outlook to reclaim them.

6. JasenP

JasenP Screenwriter

Jasen
    There is a system restore feature in the help menu for XP that allows you to restore your system to an earlier state. Once you find it, there is a good help file description of how this works.

7. Neil Joseph

Neil Joseph Lead Actor

Neil Joseph
    Thanks guys. What a team!!!!

Also, I understand that the Media player is a lot more functional now and can be used to copy & burn CDs etc. I will have to try it out and see how well it works.

8. CRyan

CRyan Screenwriter

I found the burniing option in Media Player to be horrible. Instead of converting MP3 - wave on-the-fly like most programs, it has to first convert all of the files and then burn. On a fast machine, it can still take forever to convert - longer than it takes to burn.

Also, do not put too much faith in system restore. I mean it would probably save you from a horrible crash. However, it does not catch all of the little things. Unfortunately, it is not completely taking you back in time. I have had a few problems here and there that restore simply did not fix. Things like Java applet problems, and other small quirks that developed after a restore point. I restored to a time when those things were working, but they still did not work.

C. Ryan

9. Iain Lambert

Iain Lambert Screenwriter

System Restore was on ME as well, and at least up until the point where it breaks, and nothing will persuade it to either come back or stop taking over a Gig of hard drive it was very useful. It won't help in the situation of massive failure, no, but if you're struggling with driver issues or something, it can roll back the application of changes to the windows directory, which saves a lot of effort. When I first built my current Athlon system there were a bunch of problems getting it running, as the VIA motherboard drivers and the NVidia graphics drivers were having an argument.

10. Neil Joseph

Neil Joseph Lead Actor

Neil Joseph
    Well I created my snapshot but I am not very comfortable with it working for me when I need it. I had Drive Image 4.0 on Win ME but I re-installed it on XP and it gave problems at the point where I type in the image filename I want to create so I am unsure of the compatability with XP. I am using FAT32 FYI.

(edited, new info added to post)

I understand that Drive Imge 4.0 does not work with WinXP ad I will have to use ver 5.0 instead.