What's new

Upgraded 989 with DPL2 and DTS-ES (1 Viewer)

Gary Hensley

Stunt Coordinator
Received my upgrade yesterday and installed it last night. Upgrade took a lot longer than I would have imagined but it was very easy and went off without a hitch.
My first impressions is the DPL2 is the real deal. After all the talk on this forum about how it sounded I can say I was impressed. While not DD 5.1 quality I would say it is not that far begind and is a HUGE improvment over straight DPL.
Pulled out a few of my DTS-ES discs and played with them for a while as well.
Have no regrets buying my 989. Great job Onkyo!!!
Gary

Gil D

Supporting Actor
Gary,
What is the price of the Onkyo upgrade? Is Onkyo including the upgrade in new 989's and what is the going street price for this unit.
Also, have you compared the Onkyo to the Sony 9000es preamp for HT performance?
Thanks,
gil

Gary Hensley

Stunt Coordinator
Gil,
All new 989's are being shipped with upgraded firmware based on reports I have read. The price of the upgrade was 49.XX so it was very reasonably priced and well worth the $$$ IMHO.

Ricky T

Supporting Actor
I too just upgraded my 989 :) DPL2 and dts-es so far is very good. This is the most flexible and best sounding HT processor I've ever owned...and I've had: Angstrom 200/205, HK Signature 2.0, sony ep9es, denon avd2000, technics 500, Nak AV10, sherwood 9080.

Bhagi Katbamna

Supporting Actor
Yes, I really like the upgrade. One nice thing about the firmware upgrade is that now the default is subwoofer on(rather than off).

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.