Upgrade to Progressive Scan DVD Player?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Don Morrison, Jul 1, 2002.

1. Don Morrison

Don Morrison Agent

I have a Mits 46" 16:9 HD-ready RPTV (WS-46809) and also have a Sony DVP-300N (i think that is the correct model number) DVD player. Should I upgrade to a progressive scan DVD player and if so, which ones would you recommend? Or should I just wait until the next "wave" of more capable DVD players come to the market?

Thank for the Help

------------------------------------------------
    I know, I'm a **newbie**

2. Michael Reuben

Michael Reuben Studio Mogul

Welcome to HTF!

My personal rule of thumb is to upgrade only when I'm dissatisfied with what I have. If you're enjoying your system as it is, I say let it ride.

OTOH, if you're not satisifed with the image, there are several routes to consider. A progressive scan player is one possibility; another is professional calibration of your set, which can yield improvements in image equal to, or even greater than, adding a p/s player.

Not everyone sees a huge improvement with a p/s player. A lot depends on your set and your eye for video images. But almost everyone sees the improvement when a trained professional has finished adjusting the set to its peak performance.

M.

3. Pamela

Pamela Supporting Actor

I have an hdtv-ready set and I was using a non-progressive Sony 560. On a whim, I decided to go with a progressive scan (Panasonic RP-56) and I am not disappointed. The first dvd I popped in was Moulin Rouge and the picture quality took my breath away. I'm quite pleased with my upgrade. Of course, now I'm thinking of upgrading again to a progressive scan with DVD-A. It just never stops, does it? [​IMG]

4. John Royster

John Royster Screenwriter

As an owner of a fully tweaked mits 65819 I'll say this.

If you watch DVDs on your TV then get a progressive scan player. I'm being blunt here because I switch back and forth between interlace and PS on my rp56. completely different picture.

My opinion might not be so strong with some of the other TVs but for 200 bucks, get a progressive scan player and take the mediocre mits line-doubler out of the picture (literally).

Welcome to HTF!!!!

New models are out but the sony 700p and panasonic rp56 (replaced with a newer model?) are sure fire 200 buck winners.

5. RoyGBiv

RoyGBiv Stunt Coordinator

I have the Mitsubishi 46805 which is two years older than yours, and, admittedly, its line doubler is probably not as good as yours. Having said that, I think that my progressive DVD player has made a significant difference in picture quality. It is easy to compare the picture quality between progressive and interlaced by switching the progressive output off and on on the DVD player and comparing the picture. The difference is really quite remarkable. Incidently, my TV is one of the ones that "locks in full" with a progressive signal, and yours does not. So, maybe this won't be true for your TV, but with mine the scaling of the progressive signal by my DVD player is far superior to the scaling of an interlaced signal by the TV.

If you're still not sure, buy one of the DVD models mentioned above from a store that will let you return it, and see for yourself.

SMK

6. Gary Thomas

Gary Thomas Second Unit

I have a Pioneer Elite 610 TV & a Tosh 4700 dvd player. When I had mine ISF'd by Sean Tebor, he suggested I use the interlaced output & let the Pioneer handle the doubling. (Pioneer is regarded as being a top tv for this) I've switched back and forth w/ the progressive mode of the Toshiba, but haven't noticed a significant improvement either way. I do notice occasional flickering, so I am thinking of upgrading my DVD player to take advantage of the latest technology. Right now I'm leaning towards the Denon 1600.

Any thoughts?

7. Craig

Craig Second Unit

I'd recommend a progressive scan player. I've noticed more of a difference on medium (or poor) quality DVDs than on reference quality DVDs. Non-anamorphic DVDs almost always look better. Although some DVDs contain compression artifacts you can't get rid of, prog scan has definitely made a difference on my 2 1/2 yr. old Toshiba widescreen.
    Do you ever see jagged edges on lines running diagonally across the screen. How about moire (rainbow effect) on objects like a houndstooth coat? Flickering on tree leaves as the camera pans? This is the kind of thing that prog scan cleans up.
    The new Denon 1600 just got an outstanding review (check link below) at the Secrets Of Home Theater & High Fidelity website. In fact it had the best test of results of any player they have ever reviewed.
    http://www.hometheaterhifi.com/volum...00-6-2002.html

8. Dalton

Dalton Screenwriter

Dalton
    I also would recommend a PS palyer. I own a Panasonic PT56 WXF95 16x9 tv and noticed a significant difference when i switched to a progressive scan player. It is worth the $$ IMO.

9. Pamela

Pamela Supporting Actor

10. Claire Panke

Claire Panke Second Unit

Believe it is a rebadged RP56. With lotsa upgrades :)

11. Ed Robitaille

Newbie here...Correct me if i'm wrong but i thought progressive dvd players only work when u have a hdtv tv.Mines is hdtv ready.Will the picture be that much better than a regular dvd player?

12. Steve Schaffer

Steve Schaffer Producer

Ed,
    The difference between an HDTV and an HD-ready set is solely the fact that the HDTV has a built-in HD tuner, and the HD-ready models require an external tuner for High-Def channels.

Both types can accept and display the progressive scan dvd picture.

13. Ed Robitaille

Cool because i have ordered a progressive scan dvd to replace this god awful ge one i have been using.I was just hoping for a beter picture than that pos is showing i got a big tv and the picture has never looked worse!