What's new

Upgrade to Atmos & 4K (1 Viewer)

Wes K

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Wesley
I currently have 1080 and 5.1 but I want to upgrade to atmos and 4k for the impending harry potter re-releases.

On a budget, I'm planning on getting these components:

Onkyo HT-S5800
Hisense H8
Philips BDP7501

What are your opinions of these products. I know they are low/mid-range but I'm just a college student.

Ps: room dimensions are 10x12x7

Todd Erwin

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd Erwin
I currently have 1080 and 5.1 but I want to upgrade to atmos and 4k for the impending harry potter re-releases.

On a budget, I'm planning on getting these components:

Onkyo HT-S5800
Hisense H8
Philips BDP7501

What are your opinions of these products. I know they are low/mid-range but I'm just a college student.

Ps: room dimensions are 10x12x7
Skip the Philips and wait for the Samsung to go on clearance when the new model comes out. Or wait for LG to release a price for their upcoming player.

David Willow

Babbling Idiot
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
I had no idea Phillips was still around. I remember having a Phillips DirecTV receiver a long time ago. If I recall it was actually pretty nice. Nothing fancy - it just worked.

I just picked up a Samsung K8500 and a couple Vizio 4K tvs. The smaller (and cheaper) 43" is really not worth calling 4K. While it does seem better than the one it replaced, it does not give me the 'wow' factor. Now the 70" M series does. The size make it worth the upgrade. Having just said that, I just learned today that the smaller one has an update ready to enable HDR10 color so my thoughts may change...

Bottom line is don't expect a smaller screen to make your 4k movies 'that' much better. If you are after the ATMOS sound I would go for the BD player and spend the money on a better AVR and speakers (unless your old TV is complete junk of course ;) ).

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks