Upgrade to AT&T digital cable

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Gerard Martin, Nov 29, 2001.

1. Gerard Martin

Gerard Martin Second Unit

What does upgrading to AT&T digital
    cable offer other than higher bills
    and a few extra channels I may or maynot
    utilize. Does it transmit HBO 5.1 and
    if so what other equipment other than
    a cable box is necessary. Your
    experience with AT&T digital appreciated. Thanks.

2. Jerome Grate

Jerome Grate Cinematographer

Some digital cable offer 5.1 but unfortunately not every channel is digital. You live in Florida and unless you live in an apartment, then I would go satellite. Better sound, better picture quality and most important so much cheaper than Digital cable.

3. Brett DiMichele

Brett DiMichele Producer

Gerard,

You summed it up prety well when you said "Higher Bills"

My mother's fiance has an RCA HDTV Box with a Tosh Theater

Wide HDTV RPTV and they "had" AT&T Digital Cable. The bill

was $65.00+ a month and half of the time the cable was out

and the other half of the time the AT&T Digi Cable Box was

D.O.A.....

He dropped Digi Cable and went with a Dish and hasn't looked

back.. I still have AT&T Basic Expanded Cable and I pay damn

near $40.00 a month and I get SQUAT.. I don't even get the

Sci Fi Channel.. Ohh but they "give" me Disney.. Yipie Flippin

Do..

I have been seriously considering a Dish myself... There is

no perfect technology here.. Dish or Cable both have thier

drawbacks.. But for $40.00 a month via Dish I would at least

get some premium channels...

4. Nate Hall

Nate Hall Auditioning

I have Digital cable here in the Seattle area. For my $60 a month I get the full package. 3 or 4 HBO, Shotime, TMC, and DMX (Digital Music Express) along with tons of other stuff. It has been a good experience overall, but there are some drawbacks. It is NOT digital ready. The channels are very slow to change, and the picture qualtiy leaves something to be desired at times. Some of the channels come in great, some don't. Hope this helps you a bit.

-Nate

5. Todd Hochard

Todd Hochard Cinematographer

6. Grant B

Grant B Producer

Since I was subscribed to DMX service, and they were dumping 20 music channels to add 10 TV channels (you know they were horrible when they try and cram that much data on so little Bandwidth), they let me be one of the 'lucky' few.

When the installer came out and I told him how exactly to hpook it up, he looked at me like was was speaking an unknown dialect.

Honest to God, I spent the next hour hooking it up (the guy didn't move an inch) and when I was done he said, "thank god, I could have never done that and then asked me for the $27 installation fee!!!!!!!!

This from a company who would not let me get the equipment and hook it up myself!

Since I modulate my DVD LD etc, I realized I was @#$%^ because there was no 'empty' channels to modulate them over.

Calling the service (HAHAHAHAHA) number, I got some very nice people that would make Homer Simpson look like a genus.

I HAD THEIR NUMBER ON SPEED DIAL....and they have the guts to scare people and tell them there is no service for DSS.

I smiled for a week when I dumped their crappy equipment at their office

7. Matty B

Matty B Stunt Coordinator

Sorry Todd but you're wrong. Either you don't really have digital cable, or you are completely mistaken. Im guessing it's the prior. Now I'm not saying they aren't CALLING it Digital cable, but TRUE Digital cable is analog 1-20, and the rest of the channels are digitally compressed to fit in the rest (However many you recieve). Since you are recieving HD over your cable line, Im guessing that's not really Digital cable, but ED Cable with some HD thrown into the mix. True Digital Cable is VASTLY inferior to Direct TV because of all of the digital artifacts. Your lack of artifaction sounds more and more like an ED/HD Hybrid of which we will all eventually be moving to. Im VERY Jealous as out here in AT&T cableland the only blurb on the AT&T website about HDTV is that it's bad because you have to buy all new equipment. Anyway, Im jealous, and Digital TV sucks. Im sure someone else can explain the artifaction procedure better than I can.

8. Todd Hochard

Matty,
    The trouble with broad generalizations is that they can get you in a lot of trouble.[​IMG]
    What I have is most certainly "digital" cable in its common form, albeit at an apparently higher quality than most. The channels assigned in the 1-100 band are analog. 101-399, digital. 401-450 are digital music, and 1020, 1060, 1180, 1243, and 1259 are HDTV channels. I use the Scientific Atlanta Explorer 2000 Cable box (very common), with an added HDTV daughterboard to provide HD component out for the 5 HD channels (not so common).

9. Rhett_Y

Rhett_Y Screenwriter

DO NOT GO TO AT&T DIGITAL CABLE.....

It is waste.....I am switching to dish network, and mom already did..... There customer service sucks two hour wait times (california area).

Get a dish, it is cheaper and right now some places have great deals...

Personal opinion,,,AT&T Sucks......

If you want more info on my opinion let me know....

Rhett

10. Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Wayne

11. Bob McElfresh

Bob McElfresh Producer

I had digital cable for several months in the SF Bay Area. Here are my impressions (FWIW):
    [​IMG] - The signal quality was nearly identical to the analog service, determined by doing A/B comparison. My town had a wire-upgrade only a year or so eariler.
    [​IMG] - Several local SF stations (UPN, WB) showed snow/drop outs even with Digital. The Tech said that local stations were picked up by an Antenna at the CATV office and converted to digital only for the trip through the local coax!
    [​IMG] - Even network stations sent signals in Analog and these were converted to digital for the trip through the local coax.
    [​IMG] - Many of the new channels were "garbage" stations and over a few months, several fun stations like E! were replaced by Home Shopping channels (which pay the CATV company money to carry their stations). They went from 3-7 of these in a 6 month period.
    [​IMG] I now have Dish network with the PVR501 receiver/recorder unit. I am much more impressed with this signal quality, features, and the recording feature will change the way you watch Television. For the $30 for first-time subscribers, this is a fantastic deal. Highly recommended.

12. Chris Sigua

Chris Sigua Stunt Coordinator

I've had AT&T Digital for the last year (SF Bay Area) and have to admit that the signals are pretty good. What drives me nuts though is that depending on the area you live in, the channel lineup is different. My main reason for getting the digital package (Bronze) was for Speedvision. I recently moved from one city to another (Still in the Bay Area) and now I don't get Speedvision with the Bronze package [​IMG] . I understand the must-carry local channels rules, but what's that got to do with Speedvision [​IMG].

13. Todd Hochard