What's new

Upgrade Time! Big Screen HDTV or Audio/Speakers? (1 Viewer)

Mike Kao

Second Unit
Very soon I will be getting paid from a long overdue debt of a friend of mine, and I anticipate on using it for home theater upgrades
wink.gif

Now I'm stuck over deciding whether I should upgrade to one of those sweet new Toshiba HD RPTV's (namely the 57HX81) or upgrade the audio department with new speakers/sub & possibly even a buttkicker II.
Now here is my current setup:
32" Sony Wega 32-KVFS12
Harman Kardon DVD5 dvd changer/player
Harman Kardon AVR510 receiver (350 watts, DD5.1, DTS)
Infinity HPS-1.5 bookshelf fronts (bi-wired)
Infinity CC-2 Center speaker
Midiland S2-4100 speakers for rear
S2-4100 subwoofer
(the s2-4100 was the top of the line computer/multimedia speaker-sub set that retailed for $400 a few years ago. They still sound great)
2 Aura Bass shakers powered by an old Sony Prologic receiver
I know my speakers may sound a bit foreign to some of you, but for the record they should pretty darn good (to me at least)... only the subwoofer doesn't go very low. Now I'm considering the following 2 options:
1) Buy Infinity Interlude or Def Tech Towers and move the HPS-1.5's to the rear, add an SVS sub & maybe a buttkicker II. Add an amp for the buttkicker & one for the SVS, and this should come out to about $2500.
OR
2) Buy a Toshiba 57HX81 HDTV and use my computer as an HTPC (very capable w/ a P3 800EB, Radeon 64MB DDR VIVO, Audiophile 2496, etc).
So what do you guys think I should do?

Dennis Jacob

Agent
Do the speakers, right now with this Digital interface question for future digital TV, I wouldn't invest the money to not be able to get digital HDTV in the near future. I believe it is called DVI, and unless your TV has it, it won't get the future HDTV signals. I have a Tosh 40H80, and Toshiba has publicly supported the DVI and will feature it on their future TVs, but they would not commit to providing anything for the existing HDTV sets. I'm not happy, and neither are my folks with their new 56H80. I don't know when this DVI will be implemented, but there are lawsuits out now to try to prevent it from happening. The DBS folks are supporting DVI also, but no response on providing receivers that will output an analog signal. So I wouldn't spend another nickle on a TV for awhile.
------------------

John-D

Stunt Coordinator
or you can go with Mitsubishi which will stand behind it's products sold today..
either way.. go for the big screen TV..
------------------
The things we own end up owning us

Gruson

Second Unit
HDTV all the way. I am still amazed by mine and have owned it over a year
wink.gif

------------------
Equipment:
Mitsubishi 65907 65" HDTV ISFd Steve Martin
Yamaha RX-V1000 6.1
Paradigm PW2200
Paradigm Studio CC
Paradigm Studio 40s
CV LS-15s
CV LS-8s
Toshiba 6200 Progressive
Pioneer CLD704 LD
Aura Bass Shakers
1080i DirecTV
See it:
Link Removed

Mike Kao

Second Unit
On the Toshiba homepage (www.toshiba.com/tacp/tv/57HX81.html)
it has the following under the specs:
HDTV Compatible
New IDSC-Pro (Intelligent Digital Scan Conversion) (540p/1080i)
Now does HDTV Compatible mean this is a TRUE HDTV set? Seems like shady words to me. Any other TV's I should be looking at?

J

John Morris

Mike: Unless the TV has an onboard HDTV tuner, it will say HDTV compatible.
------------------
Take Care,
merc
----------------
Link Removed
God Bless America!!!

Nathan_H

Second Unit
Color me as another vote for the HDTV upgrade. imo, given that you have a decent sound system, you'll get more bang for your buck with the video upgrade. The difference between what you have now, and what a large RPTV would offer you, is night-and-day.
That said, if I were upgrading today, I'd get a DLP projector (low end) in the same price range, instead, and keep the old TV for casual viewing: news in morning, whatever.
------------------

Bob_A

Supporting Actor
Go with DT's man! I would recommend the 2000TL's...they are simply amazing speakers. I have a 60 in pioneer elite tv and I can tell you...it is always the speakers I am looking forward to seeing (and hearing)! It also wouldn't hurt to throw in some nice quality external subs like SVS.
If you need any setup tips feel free to ask. Good luck!

NathanP

Supporting Actor
I would buy a nice projector..
They go for really cheap on ebay and you can find a nice
one for under $700..
I believe if your really into HT, you'll get a bigscreen TV or projector..
27" or 32" just doesn't seem like a theater to me..
Pardon if I've offended anyone..
Nathan

NathanP

Supporting Actor
Try CRT or LCD on Ebay, you can get a nice CRT for $400 and you wont have to worry about other bidders..
Nathan

John Gates

Second Unit
I must say I have the opposite opinion of many here. I had this same choice and decided to upgrade my audio first. I am VERY glad I went this direction.
HDTV is coming down in price (as are projectors), so a delayed purchase here can save you some dough. Standards may also change, or there could be significant improvements and/or price drops.
I personally notice the audio rather than video quality. With excellent audio, I get lost in the small screen and don't even really notice it after the first few minutes. The audio surrounds me and involves me in the movie much more than video does. OTOH, cruddy sound definitely distracts. Of course, you said your stuff sounded good, so your mileage may vary.
Depending on room size, if you get an SVS, you may not need a buttkicker. :) My 20-39's kick my butt all over the room.
Yes, people do make fun of my TV, but I expect to upgrade that component in February. :)
Have fun spending your dough!
John
------------------
System:
Onkyo 787
Mains: nOrh SM 6.9 (shipping NOW)
Center: nOrh marble 4.0
Surrounds: nOrh wood 4.0
Rear Center: nOrh prism 4.1
Subwoofers: 2 x SVS 20-39 CS w/Fidek Amp
Pics: http://www.geocities.com/givinit2him/

BradZ

Stunt Coordinator
The poster above mentioned Mitsubishi as a solution to the DVI problem. You may want to look into that closer before you jump. Mits promise module promises support for a future firewire connector (part of the 5C copy protection that Mits is in on), they have not said they will support DVI which is a different kettle of fish altogether. Until the copyright thing is settled once and for all- no set is guaranteed future proof.
That said, I'd still go with a new HDTV monitor for an upgrade. You already have an audio system that you seem to be fairly satisfied with- get a big widescreen set to enjoy now. I'll be years before anything is made completely obsolete. Don't look for the 2006 deadline to stand up- get the set now and enjoy progressive scan DVD as well as the little HD available now. If sales don't pick up there may be no reason to worry about future compatability. My best guess is that some compromise solution will keep current analog conectors safe. Like a DVI/Firewire port needed on a STB and a PVR to record, analog signals to watch.
just my .02
------------------
zaphod
end of transmission...

FrankC

Agent
I think you'll get more enjoyment out of a TV upgrade -- I recently from a 32" to a 50" rear projection (analog) Sony and it's a big upgrade.
Having said that, I think if you are thinking about the audio vs. video question, I'm guessing HDTV prices will come down much more aggressively over the next 24 months compared to speaker prices.
So -- follow your pocketbook or your heart? Your call. Both are good. :)
--f

Matty B

Stunt Coordinator
Your TV isnt that bad, but you would notice the difference in a television MUCH more than the difference you would notice in a new stereo. To the guy that said he went Audio before TV, I couldn't even watch TV on your system, what's the POINT?

Russell _T

Supporting Actor
I bought the Mits because of price, upgradability and tweakability (BTW, these words have been recently added to the dictionary). When properly tweaked, the Mits DVD picture is as good as the Pioneer Elite.
Russ

Mike Kao

Second Unit
Any particular mitsubishi models I should be looking at?
Also, I forgot to mention that my theater room is relatively small (approximately 10' x 11'), and viewing distance from the telivision is about 6'-7'. Keeping this in mind, would 57" be too much? Also given the small room dimensions and the fact that I'm in a joint townhouse, would a SVS sub be overkill? Hopefully I won't be here for too long, and can hold onto the SVS until I can use it to it's full potential, but I get the idea that I probably will be keeping it at less than 1/4 levels for now. Or perhaps I can save the money and buy towers that have sufficient bass output? That said, does anyone know of any that can hit 25hz with authority (I do afterall, consider myself to be somewhat of a basshead).

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks