upgrade time again... need some suggestions

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by KennethF, Sep 10, 2002.

1. KennethF

KennethF Stunt Coordinator

I upgraded my speakers to a deftech combo of BP2000TLs, C/L/R 3000, and BPVX/Ps. I have a pretty low end sony avr and dvd player.

I think I've decided on the Denon 3800 dvd player to replace my old one (if other dvd/dvd audio players in this rough price range are any better, please suggest some alternatives).

I'm torn, however, about a pre/pro and amplifier. What suggestions for roughly $5000 would get me the best features and cleanest sound?

Any suggestions are appreciated, and thanks in advance for any advice you can give me. In just the last 6 months since I've started hanging out on this site, I've learned much more than my wife thinks wise about home theater. Thanks again for all the great advice.

2. chung_sotheby

chung_sotheby Supporting Actor

Wow, $5k, that's alot of cheddar.
    I would go for the best 5 channel amp for around $1.5-2k, and the best pre from $3-3.5k. Some Suggestions
    Pre/Pro:
    Anthem AVM20
    Sunfire TGIII
    B&K Ref 50 (TBR)
    Krell Showcase
    Aragon Stage One
    EAD (not sure which model name, but all very good)

Amp:
    Too many to mention. Rotel, B&K, Cinenova, ATI, Parasound, everything under the sun.

3. Jed M

Jed M Cinematographer

Off the top of my head I think the Anthem AVM-20 would be worth looking at. The Aragon Stage One is another I would audition. Lexicon is another option if you want Logic 7 and overall a very respected name in HT. Rotel has a new one coming out this fall which would be worth serious consideration if you can wait that long. I don't know anything about it, but Rotel makes great audio gear. I have an mid 90's pro logic pre/pro (the Rotel 960ax) which still sounds great, but I only use it for stereo.

As far as amps I am not even close to an authority. I have only had three different brands, Outlaw, Marantz, and Parasound, and I have to admit I can't really hear much, if any, difference between the amps. To my ears, I thought the Outlaw and the Marantz sounded very alike, while the Parasound sounded a little more colored. All three of those brands can be had relatively cheap (in amp speak) but are known for giving great bang for the buck.