Upgrade time - Adire Denali or SVS Ultra ? Roughly $1500.00 budget...

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Chip E, Feb 26, 2003.

1. Chip E

Chip E Screenwriter

Ok guys, i've had an original SVS 20-39PC sub for like 2 years now in a 11'6" X 10'6" room. I'm finishing my basement right now. The finished demensions will be roughly 20' X 15' with a split ceiling height of half- 7', other half 8'. No other openings.. With a budget of roughly $1500.00 which way should i go here ? Any other suggestions on the best way to maximize my bass budget ? I do not want to build a sub.. I want the lowest & loudest i can get within my budget with the focus 70% movies - 30% music. Thanks.

2. Chriss M

Chriss M Second Unit

how about a VMPS Larger sub, with megawoofers + soundcoating, and a QSC PLX1602 to drive it. Should come in right under $1500 shipped.

3. you'll probably want the ultra if you want little more slam, and the Denali for extra extension. I am fairly confident that the Denali will have greater total SPL capabilities.

The Denali does however have a much larger foor print which may be an issue for you.

as for VMPS, I hold a personal grudge against one of the main guys which I will not get into here....so I will not let my biased comments get in the way of that sub.

4. Michael R Price

Michael R Price Screenwriter

Chip,

The Tumult driver has somewhere around twice that of the SVS Ultra's so the Denali should have more absolute output capability. It's probably extending a little lower than the SVS also (16-18Hz tuning vs. 20Hz), and this means potentially a bit less output higher up. Although I haven't listened to either, I think the Denali would have somewhat more output and better extension and it's a good choice if you can accept the large box and higher cost.

I have a hunch both of these subs are well ahead of the VMPS, but I'd rather not make that judgement given my limited knowledge of it.

5. Chip E

Chip E Screenwriter

My 20-39 is tuned to 18hz and that's low enough for me... I don't have a problem with a box sub design at all. If it were going in the room i'm using now it would be too big. No problem at all in the basement room i'm doing. I know the Ultra would be a great choice but i'm real curious about this new Adire gear coming out too. Decisions..

6. ErichH

ErichH Screenwriter

Chip,
    I have a new Ultra powered by 1 side of a Crown K1 amp.
    My room is 12 X 23 and I don't think I'll ever use the other side of the amp. The Ultra performs way beyond my needs.
    I think you can find a used K1 for well below 900 to 1100 new price and that would meet your 1500 mark. It's silent and never needs to turn off(sleep mode)

Eric

7. Chip E

Chip E Screenwriter

Thanks Eric... i'm glad you chimed in because it looks like we have roughly the same square footage.

8. Chip E

Chip E Screenwriter

I wonder if SVS is planning a box sub with the capabilities of the Ultra in my price range.. ?

9. Richard Burzynski

Richard Burzynski Second Unit

Chip:

Yes, SVS is coming out with a powered box sub which should roughly equal a single Ultra for ~$1500.

It's due around April-May I think.

Rich B.

10. Chip E

Chip E Screenwriter

Thanks Rich.. I'm actually not ready to buy today anyway. When the basement is done.. It's going to take me about eight weeks to finish it. I'm off work now anyway..not too much concrete getting poured with this weather, lol.

11. Steve Morgan

Steve Morgan Second Unit

Steve
    Chip,
    I am in about the same boat. I have 6000 cubic ft. Currently have a Paradigm Servo 15a and a Von Schweikeret S/3 sub. I feel I am missing a little in the low end. I was thinking the Denali x 2 or maybe and Ultra package. Tryin to save $. My head is spinning trying to decide which would meet my needs for the least monies. Glad you posted this.I look forward to the response.
    Steve

12. Chip E

Chip E Screenwriter

Sure Steve the more the better ! That Denali has my interest peaked for sure. I'm definately looking forward to whats next in line from SVS as well. My timeframe for the purchase of a new sub will allow me to see what SVS will put out and the new Adire subs. It's like shoot'n fish in a barrel i think... can't go wrong. [​IMG]

13. Chip E

Chip E Screenwriter

/

14. Sean Carter

Sean Carter Stunt Coordinator

Steve,

If you're looking to spend just a little bit more than the two Ultra's, you can get the SVS B4+ unfinished for only $2000. The B4+ is equal to about 4 Ultra's.[​IMG]

Sean

15. Edward J M

Edward J M Cinematographer

Also, if you have the room for twin cylinders, dual 20-39CS+ co-located in the same corner will outperform a single 20-39 Ultra by around 4 dB across the board. Ditto for dual 20-39PC+. Dual PC+ would blow your $1,500 budget, but not too badly, and you'd have plug and play ease with the on-board 525w amp and 4 position SS filter and infinitely variable phase control. All you'd need is a Y splitter for the pre-out.

The forthcoming SVS box sub mentioned in the above post will pack two dB-12 Plus drivers and a 850-900 watt Indigo BASH amp with the same features as the PC+ amp. Ostensibly, it will probably be called the PB2-Plus, and will have performance just shy of twin 20-39PC+, and will definitely also outperform a single 20-39 Ultra. Price is TBD but I would venture it would be near your $1,500 budget.

16. Zack_R

Zack_R Stunt Coordinator

I would say wait until your in your basement room, take measurements on your sub as that may help you determine if you need headroom, extension, or both.

Except for you wanting to upgrade because you can, I don't think you'll need any other sub than the one you have. The room is surely larger than your current room but it's not, IMO, big enough to warrant a necessary upgrade for SPL. I had a BIC America sub in a room 24x24x8 with an open stairway and it is was plenty powerful (not necessarily accurate) for that size room.

Currently I have an Ultra in a 7200 + cubic foot basement and it's plenty loud for me. Great extension and powerful SPL.

My opinion on the differences between powered and passive subs. If your receiver let's you set the distance your sub and main speakers are to your listening position, then I think the phase setting is a less critcal feature. Settinig the speaker distance through your receiver will give you a similar result as if you had a phase dial. Plus you can make changes with your remote.[​IMG] Obviously, you could do the same thing with a powered sub and the same receiver.

The subsonic filter I think would be nice for those that are pushing the limits of their sub quite often. If you rarely listen to your movies / music wide open (reference)then this is less important.

What I would recommend is maybe allowing enough budget for an eq or that BFD everyone raves about. I don't have one but I will likely purchase one some day to see what all the fuss is about.[​IMG]

17. Chip E

Chip E Screenwriter

Edward & Zack, thanks guy's. Great input ! I appreciate it. Just the kind of stuff i'm looking for.. [​IMG]