What's new

Upgrade Sub or not? (1 Viewer)

JimwMarshall

Auditioning
Okay I am looking for some advice on whether I need to upgrade my subwoofer or not. My Home Theater system is as follows:

Mitsubishi VS60805 TV
Yamaha RX-V2200 Reciever
Toshiba SD3805 DVD
Polk RT800i Mains
Polk CSi40 Center
Polk CSi30 Rear Center
Polk F/X300i Surrounds
Either Mirage FRX-S8 Subwoofer or Polk PSW250 I have both

Room size is 15x23 with 15 ft ceilings 1 halfway open wall to the front. Subwoofer is connected by a monster subwoofer cable to receiver. Subwoofer on receiver is set to both. With the 800i's and the Mirage hooked up get decent bass sounding but was wondering if I should upgrade or not? Any suggestions? Thanks!

Jim Marshall

Geoff L

Screenwriter
Real Name
Geoff
Jim

Really I think only you can make that call.

Are you happy with the bass your system produces and the way it sounds???

Have you listened to a sub capable of clean, deep, powerfull, & accurate bass?

I can give you my position, YES you need more quailty woofage, dump the little guys, (hard to incorperate multipul subs and then different brands and sizes to boot) sell or move to another system and go with some serious woofage. I not dishen the subs you have now but theirs no comparsion to the depth and quailty of bass that the big guns are capable of.

SVS, Velo-HGS, HSU, Digem, Darma, many others along with highend kits from the likes of Rutledge, Adire, and of course doing your own High Quailty DIY if that might intrest you...

It all depends on your budget and what "you" want. I would highly recomened finding someone with a big gun or two and take a listen and see if you feel your missing out.

Like I said at the top, only you can really answer that.

Regards
Geoff

JimwMarshall

Auditioning
Thanks for the reply Geoff and I am looking into the SVS model. Here's another questions with a room that is 15x23 with 15 foot ceilings do I really need 2 subs or can I just go with 1 high quality one?

Jim

Geoff L

Screenwriter
Real Name
Geoff
It would depend on if you want referance levels, & if you want them all the way to the last octave. 20-hz or below.

With an open room and your room volume your more than likley going to need 2 to do that. But if you don't care to listen or demonstare at those volumes than one high qailty sub like the big Velo HGS-18 or SVS-PC+ or Ultra would probley make you more than happy. I do not show favor to anyone of these brands and other brands Ariel-SW12, HSU-V3, Loagan Decent, etc -- can get the job done too and thats a decision you have to make.

What sub or subs, how deep, how much SPL... This will bring you choices down and into line. All of these subs mentioned don't come cheap. Some cost less than others but none are consider cheap. The SVS and HSU are probley your best bang for the buck aside from DIY or having Rutleged/Adire/others design and build for you.

Before throwing down the $$$$, see if you can find someone/someplace with a system with a real capable sub (SPL & extension) to listen to and see if thats what you want. Quailty bass we all want, but adding Deep Clean Extension and Spl to the game, it starts adding to the cost big time. Many subs fall out of the game then from just the shear performance standpoint.

Regards
Geoff

Geoff L

Screenwriter
Real Name
Geoff
Holy cow you didn't waste any time making a decision on wheather you need a bigger gun now did you....

The HSU-V3 has been getting great reviews and is a very capable sub. Read someone mentioning some port noise at very high spls. One person saying this, actually making a big deal about it. Personaly I think he was just try to justify his big dollar Logan-Decent! Very nice sub but whew, very pricey.

No question you will notice a difference and hope that it provides you with what you need and want.....

Please come back and let us know what you think compared to your other subs once you get things dialed in, and get some serious pay time on it. Action movies should certainly bring a new experience!

Enjoy your new toy
Geoff

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks