Upgrade : Sub or Center Channel?

Discussion in 'Speakers & Subwoofers' started by Gau, Aug 8, 2004.

1. Gau

Gau Stunt Coordinator

I currently have a 2 speaker setup using paradigm mini-monitors and a yamaha-5730 receiver.
    for an upgrade,less than $250, should I go with a subwoofer or a center channel? I'll be using this for all-round purposes, TV, Ht, and Music

if its a subwoofer, i've seen the dayton for $150, the velodyne for $200 and thats about it. any other suggestions. i CANT go beyond $250.

for a center channel, do i have to stick with paradigm?

thanks
    Gau

2. FeisalK

FeisalK Screenwriter

As far as centrs go, for best results stick to a centre from the same range as your mains - using same drivers- that will ensure tonal match across the fronts when the sound pans.

however since you currently don't have a sub I'd be inclined to say a sub would make the most difference to your setup. how about used ones?

3. Shane Martin

Shane Martin Producer

I would say Neither. Keep saving up more money to buy a center and surrounds from Paradigm at the same time or better mains and put your current mains in the rear.

4. Gau

Gau Stunt Coordinator

bah, go ahead, make me feel completely inadequate. [​IMG]

5. GrahamT

GrahamT Supporting Actor

He's right. Do it right the first time. You dont want to spend 250 on a center only to replace it a year from now. The cc370 is about $400 I think? And you could go with ADP170s or Mini Monitors in the rear for about the same. A decent sub will also run you about 400.

6. Shane Martin

Shane Martin Producer

Doing it right the first time will save you more money in the long term. Adding a center won't do a whole lot IMHO. Adding a cheap sub won't do a whole lot except make you want to upgrade it.

7. Brian L

Brian L Cinematographer

Well, my own 0.02 cents.....

100% agree that for a center (and surrounds, actually) you want to match the main L/R pair. Either buy another of those, or get the matching center.

But, I would probably go for the sub. While its true that for $250 you are not going to get a whole lotta sub, even in that price range you should be able to easily extend the low end of your L/R pair, perhaps as low as two more octaves.

Now, if there is a possibility of further upgrades in the future, then maybe saving a few shekels and waiting a bit is the wise $$$$ move. But how much fun is that?[​IMG]

And as Fiesal said, don't ignore the used market. My 1st sub (which I still own) is a Klipsch SW-8. Solid, measured output to 35hz, and useable response a bit below that. I bet that could be had on E-Bay for $250 or less, and it would do wonders paired with a nice pair of mini-monitors.

BGL

8. Gau

Gau Stunt Coordinator

well, i understand what you guys are saying, but i probably wont be upgrading from a 2.1 setup for about 3-4 more years.
    its not that important for me. so i'd rather have a low-mid level speaker system, than a full blown one.
    I feel like adding a sub to my current setup will round it out to where a non-audiophile like me will be able to appreciate it and use it comfortable for the next number of years.
    ofcourse, that brings up the question of why i'm on these boards if its not that important to me.... i'd rather do some research than none at all.

9. Will d s

Will d s Stunt Coordinator

Go for the sub it will make a big difference compared to putting in a center.

10. Sam Robertson

Sam Robertson Stunt Coordinator

i'd get a velodyne cht-12