upgrade speaker wire?

Discussion in 'Speakers & Subwoofers' started by Steve*_P, Feb 7, 2005.

1. Steve*_P

Steve*_P Agent

Right now I have a Marantz 7500 receiver and for speakers I have all Cambridge Soundworks T500 for fronts, MC500 for center those are bi-wired, rears are S300. I have 16 gauge speaker wire from Walmart. The longest one of those are 20 feet, for the back the longest one is 55 feet. Would it be worth it for me to go 12 or 10 guage wire? Would I notice a difference.

Thanks
    Steve

2. John Garcia

John Garcia Executive Producer

John
    The rears should be 14 ga at least, but it probably isn't going to make a huge difference.

Since you have bi-wired the mains, you have more or less just increased the effective ga. of the wire. IMO, just running 12ga wire rather than 2 runs of 16ga is a lot simpler and yeilds about the same results. Without separate amps, you aren't gaining a whole lot by running two sets of wires from one output on the same channel.

10ga would be overkill for most applications.

3. WayneO

WayneO Supporting Actor

I agree with John, you probably won't notice any difference going with a bigger quage wire. But for my peice of mind I'd get 12 ga. for those longer surround runs, I know the recommended gauge is bigger than that for that distance. You can get some stuff at Home Depot for a cheap upgrade.

4. Steve*_P

Steve*_P Agent

thanks guys

Steve