Upgrade receiver or subwoofer?

Discussion in 'AV Receivers' started by Arthur, Sep 8, 2004.

1. Arthur

Arthur Extra

Feb 19, 2004
    Now that I got rid of my bose satellite speakers and replace it with a pair of decent NHT sb3 and sc2 center. Should I upgrade my sony DE-895 (hit-list here in the forum)which it has no problem powering up these speakers but I could be missing some sound. I was told and read here in the forum that these speakers needs a lot of power juice. Do you think I need one of those suggested receivers here like HK430/630, Yama HTR5790/1400, Marantz or Denon? I'am using a mission 77ds as a surround and a cheap vidsonic subwoofer. So, basically my receiver has enough power and the sb3 and the cheap vidsonic subwoofer provide enough boom.

But, if you have to choose between a new receiver and SVS PB10-ISD/HSU stf-2 subwoofer which one would you choose? I can only afford 1 purchase.

Thanks for the input.
  2. John Garcia

John Garcia Executive Producer

Jun 24, 1999
    I'd probably upgrade the sub first (PB10), then the receiver. I would want more power with those speakers, but that receiver should do fine for the time being (and that's coming from someone who is not a big fan of Sony DE receivers).