What's new

Upgrade Question. Where to focus my money? (1 Viewer)

Jeff_N

Agent
I'm ponding the future upgrade of my system. Please provide any feedback you can. I'll try to explain my current plans, but feel free to object.
TV: Sony 61HS10 (New)
DVD: Toshiba 3108 (Plan to upgrade after HT-HiFi Shootout 2 to prog scan)
Receiver: Rotel RSX-965 (Upgrade in future to component switching receiver)
Speakers:
Mains: B&W DM602 S2
Center: B&W LCR S2
Surrounds: B&W DS6
Sub: SVS 20-39PC
Satelite Receiver: Sony SAT-HD100 (New)
Unless someone can convince me otherwise, I plan on upgrading my DVD player next. Next year I'll upgrade my receive to support component switching and maybe upgrade my speakers to CDM 7NTs. I've been considering the Swan Divas, also.
Anyone find another weak link in this system? I'd prefer to upgrade one component at a time, so that I can upgrade to a much higher quality.
Thanks in advance...

Saurav

Senior HTF Member
Not objections, but questions, that you should maybe take the time to answer for yourself:
* Why are you upgrading? Do you find your current system lacking in any specific area? Are you just trying to get to the next level of performance? Or are you just bored and looking for a change?
* If you aren't upgrading just to help the US economy, what do you not like about your current system? What do you like? Can you sit down and identify your system's strengths and weaknesses?
* Can you also identify your tastes, both in audio and video?
Once you have honest answers to those, I think you'll be better equipped to decide on what you want to change. If you're just bored, spend your money on new music and movies. Given the current level of your gear, that'll give you much more enjoyment than new hardware. Unless of course, you're in this for the hardware :)

Bob McElfresh

Senior HTF Member
I've got to agree with Saurav on this one. You already have some very good equipment, dont mess with it.
The new DVD player is about the only upgrade I could suggest, and you already know about that.
The next "step" up would be to go to a front-projector display. And this seems silly since you already have that new TV.
But before you do that:
- Try re-cabling your system or moving it to another wall.
- Go through all those DVD's with suppliments/commentary tracks that you never had time to watch.
- Try making some masks for that TV
- Try to improve your HT experience WITHOUT doing electronic purchases. This can include new chairs, side-tables for drinks, blackout-blinds for the windows, or a high-end programmable remote. How about new shelves for the electronics or for your media storage? How about lighted display for the currently-showing DVD box? Popcorn machine? Back-lighting for the TV? Dimmer switches for the lights? Paint the ceiling a non-reflective gray?
Yes I know. You have the urge to tinker. (It's been a crappy release month). But I suggest you focus on improving your HT Experience, not the equipment.
We've all gone through attacks of "upgrade-itis". We are here for you. :)

Saurav

Senior HTF Member
quote: Try to improve your HT experience WITHOUT doing electronic purchases.[/quote]
That's very good advice. I would take it a step further, and say, without doing ANY purchases. Throwing money at something is unlikely to buy you satisfaction, especially when seeing the level of equipment you already have.
Here's another angle to what's essentially the same argument - are you sure you're getting everything that your equipment can give? I assume you've got your TV and 5.1 audio calibrated using Avia/VE/whatever. How about stereo though (that is, if you listen to music on your system) - are you sure your speaker placement is the best that you can do? You'll be amazed at how much the sound of a system can improve with proper setup. If you're interested, I could point you to a few articles on speaker setup and other fine tuning techniques. In my opinion, I cannot justify buying new components until I'm sure that I've squeezed every last drop of performance from what I already have.
[Edited last by Saurav on August 20, 2001 at 04:53 PM]

Scott-C

Supporting Actor
Quote: "If you're interested, I could point you to a few articles on speaker setup and other fine tuning techniques."
Saurav,
I'd be very interested in the links you refer to, to fine-tune your audio system. Although I've set up my speakers (large vs. small, etc.), I'm trying to figure out how to use the EQ settings in my Yamaha DSP-A3090 in conjunction with Avia and an SPL meter to achieve balanced sound output, and if these links help me in doing this, that would be great!
Thanks!
------------------
Scott

Saurav

Senior HTF Member
Although I've set up my speakers (large vs. small, etc.), I'm trying to figure out how to use the EQ settings in my Yamaha DSP-A3090 in conjunction with Avia and an SPL meter to achieve balanced sound output
That's not quite what I was referring to. That's part of the 5.1 side of things - balancing the sound that's going to all of your speakers. What I was referring to is speaker setup for music, or 2 channel reproduction - here, the goal is to get your speakers and your room to work with each other, so that when you close your eyes you cannot hear your speakers, instead you are presented with a wall of sound extending the width of your room. Some people have said that setting up your front L+R speakers this way is beneficial for HT too - I wouldn't know, I don't have a surround sound setup. But as far as 2 channel audio goes, believe me - when you get your speakers set up right, it's truly a jaw dropping experience.
The links I usually point people to are in the FAQ section of the Audio Asylum - go to http://www.audioasylum.com

Jeff_N

Agent
I guess I should feel happy about the opinions that my equipment is already good. There's really no NEED to upgrade anything. You know what happens when you have a little extra money in the future, you look for a place to spend it. It will need a component switching device, however, because the Sony 61HS10 only has one progressive/HD input. When I get the progressive scan dvd player, I'll need another input.
However, I do need new furniture for the home theater. It currently just has a couch and a recliner. My wife even indicated that she might want "Home Theater" furniture. I'd be happy with an array of 3 or 4 recliners, but she likes the seats she sees in the (my) mags. You know, the leather recliners with the cupholders, etc...
Anyone have a good suggestion for home theater furniture manufacturers that are affordable?
Hmmm... I have about 10 Bass Shakers I bought on sale, maybe now would be a good time to integrate some of those into the system. :) Ever since I added the SVS sub, I've not felt the need for the shakers.
Keep any other suggestions coming! :)

Saurav

Senior HTF Member
I know how that goes with spare money :) If I were you, I'd spend it on software - I've found that that gives me much more bang-for-the-buck than any component upgrade. That's just my experience though, it doesn't necessarily apply to anyone else.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks