1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

Upgrade quandary

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Rob Braden, Aug 6, 2001.

1. Rob Braden

Rob Braden Auditioning

Folks,
    I've got a Yamaha RX-V2092 driving a pair of PSB Image 6T mains with an Image 9C center and some older PSB towers in the rear. My sub is a SVS 20-39CS.
    I'm pretty happy with the sound of the Yamaha in surround mode, 2-channel sounds pretty flat and lifeless to me. I'm hoping to find something that works well in stereo as well as the surround modes. I'd like DPL-2, since I watch a lot of TV and pro-logic encoded material.
    I was considering buying a multi-channel amp now, possibly the Outlaw 750, and adding a pre/pro later, possibly the Outlaw, maybe something like a B&K. The Outlaw is much more attractive from a cost perspective, although we have no idea how it will actually perform yet.
    Alternately, I could go with another receiver like the Denon 3802, and then add an amp later.
    Recommendations?
    Thanks!
    --Rob

2. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

Rob, I am not familiar with your Yamaha receiver, but it could be that one of the A/V receivers you are considering will sound better in two-channel mode. I bought a Sony STR-V444ES receiver last September and have been very happy with it. For a $1000 receiver (I paid $640), I feel it is very capable both in stereo and surround mode. However, to get better music performance, I decided to add an NAD C 370 integrated stereo amp. I use it now for all stereo music sources. It is superior to my 'V444ES. To have gotten significantly better stereo performance out of an A/V receiver, I would have had to have spent far more than the $525 the C 370 cost. Furthermore, I have been perfectly happy with the 'V444ES in home theater applications, so I didn't see the need for a new A/V receiver. In the end, I am very happy with the current set-up. The C 370 is great for stereo music, while the 'V444ES peforms very well with DVDs, VHS tapes, LDs, and surround-sound music.
    If you want to learn more about the NAD C 370, check it out at www.nadelectronics.com . Furthermore, Sound City (1-800-370-3156) discounts NAD gear and is an authorized dealer. I bought the C 370 from them for $525. Retail price is $700.
    I realize that having both stereo and surround-sound amps in one room is not conventional, but it works well for me. You might consider going that route. A quality stereo amp is an excellent value, relative to what a comparably peforming surround-sound receiver will cost.
    ------------------
    My:
    HT Pics ; Equipment List ; DVD Collection ; LD Collection
    KeithH: Saving the Home Theater World Before Bedtime