Upgrade Outlaw 750 pre/pro or M200 monoblocks? Which would make more difference?

Discussion in 'AV Receivers' started by AlanZ, Oct 17, 2004.

1. AlanZ

AlanZ Screenwriter

I have Magnepan's $550 MMGs on the way pretty soon to play with (to see what planars sound like), in anticipation of upgrading my system. I've put some thought into the speakers and have a short list of demos, but thought I'd also think about the electronics.

I'm currently running Outlaw gear - 750 pre/pro and a handful of M200 monoblocks. My source is a Denon 2900 universal player. I recently sold off my Paradigm studio 100s and 20s. My question is this: I may be able to upgrade both pre/pro and the amp, but right now I'm assuming only one upgrade for the time being. With that said, which would make the most difference? Would the M200s with a better pre/pro be superior to the 750 with a better amp? Or the other way around? I am about 75% HT, but I want to incorporate more music listening into my days, so the HT percentage may change.....If it helps, assume for now that my speaker upgrade will either be to the Paradigm Signature line or the larger Maggies. I know the Maggies will require more juice than the Paradigms, but I'm talking just in general terms as far as upgrades. I'm thinking a 3 channel amp would be best, with the M200s powering three or four surrounds. So if you have any recommendations, please fire away.....thanks!

2. Brian L

Brian L Cinematographer

Well, depending on how much you are planning to spend for the upgrade, maybe neither?

Seriously, you have pretty well regarded gear right now. I would think you would have to make a pretty big step up in $$$$ for their to be a big improvement in sound quality. Its that "diminishing returns" thing.

You might be able to step up in terms of build quality or maybe increased wattage for your amps, or even additional features/functions or perhaps additional decoding modes in a pre/pro, but in terms of pure sound quality, you are not really hurting with what you have now.

IMHO, or course.

BGL

3. AlanZ

AlanZ Screenwriter

Brian:
    Thanks for the response......I guess that's one of the effects that buying from an internet vendor has had on me.....I love the quality, but the price sometimes make me wonder what kind of step up would be warranted, if any. For example, I haven't demoed it yet, but that stuff from Simaudio is just sick. They have this Titan HT amplifier that is just awe inspiring. I probably wouldn't dish out the 4k for a new one, but if it was a significant upgrade from my Outlaw gear, I'd drop 2.5k on audiogon in a heartbeat. Same with the pre/pro. I love the Outlaw 950, but I really want to start refining my music collection and critical listening, too. So, sonically speaking, I wonder if a jump to something like Lexicon, Aragon Soundstage, simaudio, etc., would really make a difference. Or, if I should just add like a Rega single CD player and use the bypass on the Outlaw. I guess overall I just have so little experience with higher end gear that I'm not sure where to put my money when it comes to electronics. I've been more than happy with the results I've been able to get with HT....SVS has played a huge part in that, too. I just want the same for music, and right now there is something missing.

As for funds, I just went through a divorce, so I am going to have a lot more disposable income after January. I will do the responsible thing later in the year and pay off some bills, but I want to have some fun in the meantime. My favorite hobby is HT and stereo, and I am intent on finding sonic nirvana in the next six months [​IMG]

4. Brian L

Brian L Cinematographer

LOL!!!!

Been there, done that!

Given the gear you are looking at, then I would sure hope there would be a discernable difference in SQ. I tend to view a lot of the hi-end with skepticism, but brands like Lexicon and Meridian for example really do tempt me, and they typically get top reviews.

But I have other $$$$ hobbies (I drive an 1990 911 in Porsche Club autocross), so I have to make do with my NAD/B&W rig...not that I feel like I am hurting, just that I know there is some gear out there that would look real, real nice in the equipment rack.

Good luck on your search.

BGL

5. AlanZ

AlanZ Screenwriter

Wow, I had never heard of Meridian until you just mentioned it.....I just browsed their site and checked them out....looks like some heavy duty stuff! I think I'll know more about what I need up front after I demo these Magnepan things I have coming on Friday......they sing with lots of clean power from what I've read, so I may just use the outlaws to power the surrounds and get a killer 2 or 3 channel amp for the front stage. I don't want to go "high end" all around.....just in front. The Outlaws are plenty adequate for the back.....I love those little amps.

Anyway, thanks for the input....I really apprecaite it [​IMG] Drive safe! lol

6. john bourne

john bourne Extra

Here's another idea, instead of spending money on better gear seeing as you already have good stuff, perhaps invest in some good room treatments. It would be far cheaper (perhaps more impactful) and with the money saved you could then apply the same funds towards a weekend trip, software, etc. - just my 2 cents.

7. BrianAe

BrianAe Second Unit

The advantage of upgrading the pre/pro is that you would definitly be getting an upgrade in terms of features along with your upgrade in sound quality. New pre/pros would give you the option of gaining DPLIIX (or logic7), auto room calibration, correction for "lip sync" timing issues, etc.

Of course, as others have mentioned, that is assuming you want to upgrade at all.