What's new

"upgrade" my JVC 723GD to RP-82 or stay? Can JVC DVD players compete? (1 Viewer)

Keir H

Second Unit
Just trying to figure out whether or not moving on to another dvd player since I have one that's been around awhile and while good, I am curious at all the hype with the new Panasonic players. I am interested in the RP-82. Has anyone moved from any JVC player to this model? How much improvement was there if any? How does cd audio compare (2ch analog,digital out)? I think after noticing that the 723 is blurry in prog. mode on my Panny 47 HDTV, I am closer to the switch... any opinions.
Sorry if this has been covered before. thanks! :D

Steve Schaffer

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Schaffer
Keir,
I had a JVC XVF80-BK--same chipset as your player for a year, and now have a Panasonic CP-72 (same as the RP-82 but it's a 5 disc changer).

For most film-based material, the Panny is a noticeably sharper, combs a little less, and has more vivid color. There are a few "problem" discs that the JVC couldn't quite do properly, The Red Violin for example, that look very much better on the Panasonic. For video based material the improvement with the Panasonic is more noticeable. If you have a lot of dvds of tv shows, the Panny is a good choice.

I don't play cds on my players enough to really judge that aspect of their performance.

Keep in mind that the Panasonic does not have the scaling feature. If that's not a major concern I would definitely recommend getting the RP82 or CP72 as an upgrade over the JVC.

Greg Kolinski

Second Unit
It seems so much of this "subjective"part of this hobby depends on what components/brands you are using/mixing.I currently have a JVC AV56WP30 HDTV and a JVC 502sl progressive DVD player.Maybe its the combo of the same brand complimenting each other,the 1080i up-conversion etc,but picture on a good DVD is as good and sharp etc as any I have seen demo'ed at the stores.I am very happy with the JVC player,as its my 3rd try at getting a player I was happy with.I started out with a Toshiba 3108 in 99,it was great on my old Toshiba 50 in ,till the firmware problems struck:angry: ,then I bought a Pioneer 434,"progressive"LOL,as my next one.It's a good door stop:D .The new JVC prog is soo much better the wife is starting to watch all our DVD's again because even she saw a huge improvement.:emoji_thumbsup: So ,I guess its all so subjective from setup to setup .Different stuff works better with everyones own setup I guess.But....It does appear the RP-82 is the "giant killer"bargain of the year in DVD players.Like my Toshiba,it was a great player for $400 bucks 3 years ago,but now a $170 prog player kills it,3 years of technology is a lot in consumer electronic nowadays:D

Eujin

Supporting Actor
Well, you'll probably find that I'm a minority voice around here, but in my system I've found the JVC to produce a better picture. I currently own a JVC XV-S500 which is pretty much the same player as the previous XV-S75 and XV-723, both of which I've also previously owned. In between all these players, I also owned a Panny RP56 and most recently, the RP82. Depending on your display, it's going to be a toss-up. The RP82 does a great job deinterlacing, but I find the picture a bit too soft--especially since I use a front projector. With the JVC I currently use, there's more 'pop' to the picture and it's also noticeably sharper, allowing me to get better defocussing to get rid of "screendoor" on my LCD pj. Why don't you just pick up a RP82 from a place that has a good return policy and see what it does in your system? I think that's the best way to decide if it's going to make a positive difference in your rig. Good luck!

Steve Schaffer

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Schaffer
Keir,

One thing I noted about my JVC was that it produced the best picture with the player's sharpness setting maxed out, which is contrary to conventional wisdom.

Any other setting produced an overly soft or almost blurry picture. If your picture looks too soft or blurry, try running the player's sharpness control to max.

Users who are viewing this thread