Upgrade my CT-120 to an SVS 25-31PCi..?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Ron-P, Mar 22, 2002.

1. Ron-P

Ron-P Producer

Ron
    Well, should I? I need a small one as The Green Room is only 10x12. Just wondering what I should expect and is it worth the upgrade. I would sell my CT-120 so that would help with covering the cost. But, will I notice a significant improvement? That is the question, anyone?
    Peace Out~[​IMG]

2. Juan_R

Juan_R Supporting Actor

I like your theater, it looks just like a real one but smaller, good job.

By the way I have an SVS (20-39CS) and now that I have it I dont know how I lived with out it, congrats.

3. Doug Drake

Doug Drake Stunt Coordinator

Ron - Love your room. I am in a similar situation - 10x11. Never thought I had the room for 7 theater seats, like you did. We just have one couch, and so it's a very intimate room for just my wife and I.

Anyway, I have/had a CT-120 and I upgraded to the SVS 20-39PC (soon to be PCi). At first, it sounded like the CT-120 bested the SVS!!???!! But, after I got things calibrated properly and really worked it out, I found the SVS out-woofing the CT-120 in all respects -- volume, chest/seat impact, clarity, etc...

Go for it, but you might want to get the 20-39 just to have the extra oomph down low!!

Doug

4. Dustin B

Dustin B Producer

I really think you won't regret it. But go for the 20-39PCi. You'll want that little extra bit of extension for HT use.

My room is 12x18x8 and a 20-39PCi is small in comparison to the sub I'm using both in physical dimensions and output capabilities. I run the sub a few dB over my other speakers and really enjoy what it can do.

5. DwightK

DwightK Second Unit

Went from a Ct100 to a 16-46 in a room 11x21 and the difference was amazing. I am most impressed with the lack of rumblyness/boominess in the SVS. It hits when and for how long it is supposed to and there is more feel or presence down low. Nice to hear lows on some DVD's that I never heard before too.

Do it.

6. Joe-T

Joe-T Stunt Coordinator

I agree with everyone else. I had the Velo CT-120, and there is no reasonable comparison between it and the SVS subs (any of them). The SVS is much more accurate, powerful, detailed. I too suggest the 20-39 tuning/size.

7. John Geelan

John Geelan Screenwriter

I have a Velodyne CT-120 and a SVS 25-31CS right now in my HT. The SVS sub is much better than the Velo, it really comes alive with all material (Music and Movies).

When I can, I will definetly take out the Velo and replace it with another SVS, they are that good.

IMHO, you can't go wrong with a 25-31CS in your HT.

JohnG

8. Rick Radford

Rick Radford Supporting Actor

Ron,
    The CS series sure gives a relatively inexpensive upgrade option once you decide to put in another SVS. (yeah, I know. That's what I thought too until I heard dual CS's) [​IMG]
    Do you have room for the Samson amp in your rack?

9. Greg Br

Greg Br Second Unit

Is the Pope Catholic?

10. Ron-P

Ron-P Producer

Ron
    Thanks for the replies, it seems an upgrade is in order[​IMG]
    But, I also want 3 monoblock amps. To many upgrades, not enough money. I've decided to look into the art of D.I.Y. and building my own sonotube sub. I've built many a sub boxes in the past for car stereos, I have all the tools and I love woodworking. So, I may go this route instead of just buying one. There is no lack of info on this forum for information on sonotubes.
    Peace Out~[​IMG]

11. Dustin B

Dustin B Producer

If you love wood working Ron, don't even consider buying a commercial sub. Join the DIY sub ranks. I guarentee with a little research you will be able to build a sub that can put a stupid big grin on your face every time you fire it up.