Upgrade my 49tx?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Howard_S, Jul 18, 2002.

1. Howard_S

Howard_S Supporting Actor

I just went to my local store today where i usually buy my gear and my salesman was trying to entice me to get an Anthem system here are my options.

1) Add a 5channel amp and a 2channel amp (rather than a 7channel amp)

2) Trade in my 49tx for a processor and the two amps listed above.

Of course I would have to pay more for the upgrade. But is it worth it? Is there something better than the Anthems in the price range?

2. Brian Burgoyne

Brian Burgoyne Second Unit

Keep the 49tx! add an amp. Don't you love that automatic calibration?

3. Howard_S

If adding amp add a 5channel anthem plus 2channel anthem or a 7channel anthem or another brand's amp? I can pretty much trade the 49tx for the AVM20 processor without paying anything extra mcuh.

4. Kevin T

Kevin T Screenwriter

personally, i would just add a two channel amp for enhanced musical performance. let the pioneers internal amps handle the surround information. anthem appears to be a fine amp. don't be afraid to look at the used market. there are pretty of great deals on used equipment.

kevin t

5. Chu Gai

Chu Gai Lead Actor

The 49 is not a shabby unit. Forgetting about the enticement, what is it that you want to achive both short term and a little beyond that?

6. Philip Hamm

Philip Hamm Lead Actor

7. Chu Gai

Chu Gai Lead Actor

Phil, is this what they mean by having a relationship with a dealer?

8. Paul Clarke

Paul Clarke Supporting Actor

Keep the 49tx, add an amp. You will be set for a VERY LONG TIME.

9. Rob Rodier

Rob Rodier Supporting Actor

If you listen to music I would reccomned going with the Anthem. If you do not then you probably need to ask yourself what you are really trying to do.

-rob

10. Brian Corr

Brian Corr Supporting Actor

My opinion, get the Anthem. I haven't listened to either personally but have friends who I trust that have.
    The Anthem should sound better, especially in 2 channel. Plus it's upgradeable so it should last longer than a receiver would. The Pioneer is no slouch but I think that the Anthem is a definite step up.

11. Karl L

Karl L Agent

I was recently in a similar situation to you Howard. I ended up trading in my 49tx and an old Denon 3801 receiver for credit towards a Lexicon MC-12b and a 2 channel B&K to add to my exsisting 5 channel Theta Dreadnaught. I was hesitant to do this even though the deal had me paying "only" $4400. That's not chump change for me and I wasn't sure just how much improvement there would be in moving to a separate pre. To add to my anxiety, It wasn't at all possible to demo the Lex in my system ahead of time. Well, I got everything hooked up a few days ago and let me tell you having a true preamp really represents a significant upgrade at least in my system. For the price I got I feel it was well worth it. For the full retail price of $10,000, no way in hell would it have been worth it to me. Dynamic range during movies has been improved greatly. The soundstage during two channel listening has been opened up, and voices now sound dead on neutral and accurate.

At the same time I thought the Pioneer was really top notch for what it was designed to do. I enjoyed its ease of use, flexibility, looks, and having a damn AM/FM tuner (which the Lex lacks)! For the price the 49tx is a heck of a buy, however it will not give you the performance of separates even with its very cool and useful MACC feature. I'd imagine the Anthem pre would be a step up as well, but the only way to find out is to give it a whirl at the dealers or in your system.

12. RichardMA

RichardMA Second Unit

Home Theater magazine just reviewed the Anthem against
    the Pioneer 49tx and the Denon AVR-5803. They preferred
    the Anthem. In truth, I've never heard
    anyone prefer a receiver over the Anthem, plus there are
    positives (robust ampliers) to going separates. If it
    isn't too much of an economic issue, then make the trade.
    You likely will not regret it.

13. Howard_S

What am I looking to achieve? Well I guess pretty much like everyone here always trying to get improved sound. So far I've been really happy with the 49tx's movie performance. I guess I do want more out of music but I don't know how much an amp can add.

Like I said the dealer is trying to entice me to go with the anthems in some form or another. I do believe that a full anthem setup or even just adding an amp would be an improvement but my question is whether it's a worthwhile upgrade that's all.

So the consensus here seems to be either do nothing or add an amp? If so shoudl I add just a 2channel amp? 5 channel amp? 7ch, or a 5ch and a 2ch amp?

14. Kevin T

Kevin T Screenwriter

again...if it's music your after...definitely look into a two channel amp. i haven't heard the pioneer but i'm fairly certain it'll hold it's own when it comes to movies. of course, if i were you, i'll look to a used aragon 8008st or classe two channel model. your preference in amps may vary though. don't just buy the anthem because that's what the dealer says...demo the anthem and as many other comparably priced two channel amps as you can. have fun!

kevin t

15. Paul Clarke

Paul Clarke Supporting Actor

I second Kevin. If you're happy with the 49tx performance in HT and simply want to perk up and refine the Music side of the equation start with a quality 2 channel amp. As you know, this kind of equipment moves fairly easily on resale so after awhile, if you're dissatisfied, the situation can still be remedied along the lines of what's being contemplated now. And you might even save some money in the process.

Weigh the increased cost to you of doing the Anthem upgrade (or anything similar) against the cost of a quality 2 channel amp addition. Only you can pull the trigger.

16. Chu Gai

Chu Gai Lead Actor

The easiest thing to do is to spend someone else's money and often we make suggestions to a person because in a sense, they become an extension of ourselves, our wishes, our hopes, etc.

Myself, I don't recommend impulse buying. Nor do I generally not recommend incremental upgrades as personally, the cost tends to be high (marginal trade-in return) for the benefit received. This does not mean that obtaining external amps is without benefit as it may poise one to investigate biamping.

So before I'd start to offer you suggestions, I'd begin by asking you some questions.

What percentage of your time do you listen to music?
    How big is your room?
    What speakers do you have?
    Have you investigated speaker placement and or room treatments to improve the sound? If not, why?
    Do you have a signficant other whose input is required?
    If you're in an apartment, are your living conditions likely to change in the near future?
    What sort of financial resources are you prepared to part with?
    Are you limited as to how loud or when you can play your music?
    Are a quality set of headphones a realistic option?
    Is the used market an option for you?
    Do you tend to listen to your music straight through or do you enjoy processing the sound?
    Is it that maybe its speakers that are the determining factor?
    How important is warranty to you?
    What about service...

Upgradeitis...audio nervosa, we all get it and when we do, often we fail to ask ourselves important questions. And while you're asking yourself these questions, ask yourself why that salesman is so eager to steer you in that particular direction?

I think if you can provide some of the answers to the above questions, it may help you, or the HTF members to offer informed decisions. Right now Howard, there's too much unknown.

17. Howard_S

Well one reason why the offer is so tempting is cause he told me he could give me 100% what I paid for my 49tx as credit so it's not like I bought the 49tx and I lose value off it.

I have Paradigm Studio 60s as fronts and a Sony SCDC555ES sacd player.

My room is not exactly perfect. I don't quite know the dimensions but it's a bit irregularily shaped. I don't spend that much time listening to music. I would say I sometimes listen a lot sometimes I don't. But I like things to be there for me. I'm not the type to keep music on at all times since I like to concentrate on what I'm doing so when I'm listening to music I really sit down and listen.

Price wise of course I don't want to spend much. I need to buy value components.

I usually listen to my music straight through. I don't like processed at all.

I understand what you're trying to say Chu Gai and I totally agree. Again I'm considering it because I can get full value for my 49tx that's all.

18. Chu Gai

Chu Gai Lead Actor

It's always good to step away...so tell me what did the offer come down to in terms of trade vs what you'd have to pay?

19. Howard_S

I need my sales guy to get back to me on prices at least list prices.

The list price of the AVM20 is about the same or a bit lower than what I paid for my 49tx I think so the trade will involve me paying the AVM20 list price. Other than that the amps I can get at least some discount on. So I guess it's not a great deal but not a bad one I would think given that it is an upgrade.

20. Chu Gai

Chu Gai Lead Actor

Well that depends on how you define upgrade. One can always get technically better components but at least to my way of thinking there needs to be an objective, and as nice as the AV's might be, I don't believe it's going to move you by themselves into a better direction. At this moment, it appears to me that the overall costs of your amplification thoughts is disproportionate to your speakerss. Please understand, others may well have different ways of proportioning money with their components...for me it heavily weighted towards speakers. Assuming you like your speakers, I get the overall impression that you've done little with your room. If investigating room/system interactions and seeing how you can take personal efforts into improving them, please drop me a PM and I'll forward something over to you. Rooms tend to be limiting factors and even if you toss in Krells or Levinsons, it'll still be the limiting factor.
    Ball's in your court [​IMG]