Upgrade help needed to SVS

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Father John A, Jul 29, 2002.

1. Father John A

Father John A Stunt Coordinator

Well here goes, my first post to this forum.

After reading some of the posts in this forum I have become intrigued by the numerous posts concerning SVS subs. I went right to there site and read through their FAQ's, which of course intrigued me more.

Here are my questions if anyone has the time or inclination to help me out.

I currently have the following:

Sony STR-DE945 Receiver
    Sony DVD
    Sony SAV- E315 Surround speakers (powered sub)

I have been quite happy with this system. However after reading the SVS site concerning flat response I was left wondering if I am missing something.

I also have some components which i use very little but are very good pieces:

NAD 7220PE Amp (Can I use this to power the SVS Sub?)
    Boston Acoustics A60 speakers (Should/can these be put to use?)

With this equipment can I set up a better system without spending an arm and a leg? The SVS site suggested using an old amp to power the sub then signal it through the A/V receiver. Will this work with the amp I have listed above?

What would you all do?

Thank you for your consideration.

Fr. John

2. John F. Palacio

John F. Palacio Supporting Actor

Father John says: "With this equipment can I set up a better system without spending an arm and a leg?"

Yes, the upgrade to an SVS will be noticeable.

"The SVS site suggested using an old amp to power the sub then signal it through the A/V receiver. Will this work with the amp I have listed above?"

Yes, it will.

"What would you all do?"

You mentioned you were happy with your present setup. If this is your hobby and you've got the bucks, go for it.

Be aware that once you start the upgraditis route, in many instances, there's no end to it!

3. ColinM

ColinM Cinematographer

"Sony SAV- E315 Surround speakers (powered sub) "

Is this the set with the tower-PC style sub with the port on the bottom-front, and the tiny set of speakers?

My friend has that set. He got some Boston CR-6's for the mains (with a little help from me) and a better center, that's it. He's happy as a clam.

However, he also knows what the SVS will do, as he has enjoyed my 20*39 on occasion. BUT - he's not anxious to get a hulking black tube loaded into his living room. Can't blame him.

Yes, you are missing some things. Try the A60's. Later if you feel up to it, try an SVS and return it if you don't like it, it'll cost you shipping....

I'm glad I have one, but I wish it were a bit less obtrusive, more like a Rava.

- C

4. Father John A

Thanks for the follow-ups.

First, I think that maybe my NAD will not be powerful enough as an email from SVS suggested to me that I have at least 100 amps. My NAD is a 20 amp with Power Envelope that maxes it out at 100amps when needed (don't ask me how).

As for the speakers. The satellites are small but have good sound. I suspect that the BA A60's would be much fuller though. I was thinking of tryint them with the current sub. Actually it seems form the specs that the sub has fairly good response at 8 ohms from 20 Hz - 200 Hz. Isn't this pretty good?

I don't really understand ohms.

The size of the SVS does make me balk a little.

5. ColinM

ColinM Cinematographer

The A60's will be a nice improvement indeed.

Ohms = the electrical load (impedance, or resistance) on the amplifier. The lower the ohms, the closer you are to a short circuit. Usually an 8-ohm amp rated at 100 watts will jump to 150 watts if given a 4 ohm speaker. As the ohms go down, the wattage increases, but at a certain point meltdown will occour. The NAD should be OK for a starter, but will clip (run out of power supply capacity)if really pushed.

I ran my SVS with an 80's HK rec, good for 30-40 watts, and was very happy until I got a real dedicated amp.

6. Adam_R

Adam_R Second Unit

I have recently upgraded to a SVS 20-39PCi from an old Yamaha powered sub. The difference is HUGE! The SVS has made the most dramatic difference. The bass is now smooth and powerful, all the way down to super low frequencies. I don't run the sub very loud, I prefer a more balanced sound rather than a s&%tload of bass. I've heard things with this sub that I didn't even know existed with my old Yamaha. If you end up getting a SVS, make sure to listen to the pod race in Star Wars:TPM and also check out The Haunting DTS mix. It's stunning.

7. Lee Bailey

Lee Bailey Second Unit

Lee Bailey
    With your setup, it would actually be best to bite the bullet and get a powered SVS unit. I've had mine hooked up to my Sony STR-DE845 for a couple of years now. Best investment in the movie watching experience I've made.(SVS25-31PC with upgraded woofer)

8. Juan_R

Juan_R Supporting Actor

Father John,

I had a similar setup and then the bug hit me and the first thing I upgraded was to an SVS sub. I went from the Sony sub to an SVS 20-39 and the difference was night and day. This was six months ago and now my system has changed completely. I upgraded the receiver, speakers, DVD player and the CD player. I guess what I am trying to say is be careful because this bug hits hard.

9. Father John A

Wow, what great responses from everyone.

Can I ask why you upgraded all your equipment?

You say you had a similar set-up. I can't fathom replacing my STR-DE945. Though I realize it is not exactly high end it is a pretty good piece, middle of the road wise. As for my DVD palyer (Sony) I probably won't upgrade to progrssive until I have a TV that can display that. Also, what are you powering the sub with?

Fr. John

10. Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun Moderator