Upgrade hard drive

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Cameron_Peck, Mar 10, 2003.

1. Cameron_Peck

Cameron_Peck Stunt Coordinator

I am going to get a new hard drive soon and I want to be prepared when it gets here. How do I get the information from my old hard drive to my new one? I know I can’t just copy it from one to the other. Is there special software for this?

2. Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun Moderator

Depending on which brand you buy, they sometimes include a floppy or CD that has utilities for migrating the data/OS from the old hard drive onto the new one. It's like Norton's Ghost, or Drive Copy software that's been licensed by the hard drive manufacturer.

3. Jeff Kleist

Jeff Kleist Executive Producer

of course you can just copy from one to another, unless you want to make it bootable with your old OS< in which case use Ghost or DriveImage

4. John_Berger

John_Berger Cinematographer

Cameron, Windows being what it is the best thing that any PC user can do is clean off the hard drive and reinstall Windows on a regular basis. This is your excuse. Ghost and DriveImage are fine; however, if there are any problems that are starting to take place on your system, which will happen over time, those problems will simply be migrated over.

What you should do is to install the new hard drive, reinstall Windows completely, reinstall your applications, then attach your old hard drive and pull off your data files from it.

You'll have a fresh install; any problems will have been removed; you'll still have all of your data; and you won't have to buy additional software to make all of this work.

5. Cameron_Peck

Cameron_Peck Stunt Coordinator

That might be the best thing to do because I am currently setup with FAT32. If I reinstall, I can go to NTFS. Thank you to everyone for your input.

6. Rob Gillespie

Rob Gillespie Producer

You can convert FAT32 to NTFS very easily without reinstalling Windows, but in the case I agree with John.

7. Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun Moderator

I dread re-installing Windows and all the other utilities that make PC life convenient. I love ghost and partition magic. [​IMG]

8. Tekara

Tekara Supporting Actor

hehe, I've just adjusting to the world of format and re-install. . . windows is inherently a dying OS. it just kills itself over the course of a year. It just progressivly become slower and starts having more programs crash, etc. it's a slow but very much an assured process.

by all means a fresh re-install is the best route.

9. John_Berger

John_Berger Cinematographer

Speed isn't even an issue anymore. I can have Windows 2000 installed on a new system in less than an hour, complete with Service Pack 3, IDE drivers, and so forth. I've done this so much I have it down to a science. I even make sure to have all of the necessary drivers available via a network share.

Another reason to wipe the system clean on a regular basis is that you then will realize how much crap you have installed on your PC that you didn't really need. I can't tell you how many times I'd leave something installed in the event that I might need to use it, usually when the moon is aligned with Jupiter and Saturn is in Saggitarius during a thunderstorm. [​IMG]

10. SteveMc

SteveMc Stunt Coordinator

I would agree with John and say reinstall if at all possible on the new drive. I recently did this. Reinstalled XP pro, installed my basic application that i ALWAYS need, (Adobe, Office, winzip), then used Ghost to burn a backup base image to 2 CDRs. If i ever need a fresh install again, i can just use my base image as a starting point. Then i moved all my data manually to my new drive, and use my old drive only for my media files, like MP3s.