Upgrade from VR910 to VR920

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Robert Cobb, Jan 4, 2003.

1. Robert Cobb

Robert Cobb Agent

Although Boston Acoustics posts seem infrequent, I thought there might be a few VR910 or VR10 owners out there interested in what a VR920 would offer. If so, read on.

I've been pretty happy with the 910. I noticed some off-axis problems, and I always wondered about the two-way setup with the passive radiator, but I was a satisfied owner. Doubts were raised after hearing my brother-in-laws AR phantom setup. Dialog seemed much clearer and I heard sound effects pan across the front better than in my home. I played around with my configuration (position, delay, balance, etc.), but was still disappointed. I knew the differences could be by-products of my room, so I swapped in an old JBL (not a designed center) for comparison purposes. After recalibrating, a friend and I used Antz as demo material (primarily for Woody Allen's voice). We both noted that Woody's voice seemed fuller and sound effects more pronounced with the JBL even though the SPL meter said we had it setup identical to the 910.

I waited until the 920 went on sale and took advantage of a trade-up offer. The upgrade ended up costing me $150. A reasonable gamble I figured (my wife did not agree). After a late night hookup, I noticed a stronger center, but figured this was just because the speaker was more sensitive and I had not yet recalibrated. Well, calibration was a surprise as it required only a half decibel drop on the center channel. I then went back through Antz and some other material. Again, the center was much more pronounced. The front has opened up considerably. The most notable differences are on male voices and mid-range effects like popping, snapping (fight scenes) and crackling (fire, electrical) sounds. I should note that I configured both the 910 and the 920 as small.

Yes, the 920 is a bit bigger than the 910 (especially depth-wise), but the end caps are a beautiful piano gloss black (like the VR towers and unlike the VR910).

The improvement seems worth the $150. If you have been considering a move up from a VR910, you can accommodate its size, and you can shave some bills off the $600 MSRP, the VR920 may be for you.

2. Richard Harvey

Richard Harvey Stunt Coordinator

I have a VR910 as well and have to say I've noticed the same issues you were having. Unfortunately, I'm in no position right now to be upgrading any equipment. But, it's good to know there is an alternative out there. Actually, I bought the VR910 because I was trying to get a center that would match with RS-5 Infinity towers, and the only way to get a matching center these days is used on eBay (which I'm not keen on). I demoed about 8-12 different centers, and the Boston seemed to be the best driver match to my Infinity's. I wonder if the VR920 would also match -- I assume so, since they use similar drivers.

Rich

3. Robert Cobb

Robert Cobb Agent

Rich, I'd venture to say that the VR920 would blend in similarly to your 910. The two share the same Lynnfield tweeter found in the entire VR/M line. I chose the Bostons in the first place because, like you, I needed a center to match older mains. I always thought the 910 worked well with my old JBLs (with 1" titanium tweeters). I have not been bothered by any tonal differences thus far with the 920.

I think the RS series had a 1" soft dome tweeter. Does Infinity carry a center channel that carries over that unit or have they replaced everything with their ceramic metal thingy (CMMD, I think)?