1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

Upgrade from Sony ES to Halo C-2, WOW!

Discussion in 'AV Receivers' started by Mike Keith, Apr 23, 2004.

1. Mike Keith

Mike Keith Second Unit

That tells the whole story about your personality, you don't even know what respect is, let me give you a hint, it has nothing to do with a persons knowledge. Respect is about your attitude toward others regardless of the abilities or intellect. Your attitude shows me that you are looking for approval from you’re pesto intellectual peers, you need a ego massage regularly so you come hear and but into threads and correct people on specifics in their system that you could not possible know about. Your poor representation of your self will prompt me to stay out of future conversation with you, I have no respect for those who show no respect.

Good day.

2. Mike SJ

Mike SJ Supporting Actor

3. Mike Keith

Mike Keith Second Unit

I've tried that actually, but the front mains just dont sound as good that way, my external crossovers are 24db LR and the seperate woofer's sound better and more homogeous with the Marchand crossover then my Halo's internal crossover, plus I have independant gain control over each driver with the Marchand.

4. Mike Keith

Mike Keith Second Unit

5. Mike SJ

Mike SJ Supporting Actor

6. Lewis Besze

Lewis Besze Producer

I'm sure the loss is all mine. [​IMG]

7. David Judah

David Judah Screenwriter

While I agree that the room and speakers play a huge part, I wouldn't describe the effects of electronics as miniscule.

I remember going from an old Yamaha RXV-795 to a Pioneer 45TX(using an outboard amp)and the difference was very noticeable. I recently sold the Pioneer and put the Yamaha back in the chain temporarily and really lost alot of overall quality, so besides the excitment of a new purchase, I have no problem believing his new processor made a large impact.

Enjoy the Parasound, Mike--new toys are fun.

DJ

8. Lewis Besze

Lewis Besze Producer

David,
    I used the phrase "compared to".
    To me any change in the electronic chain compared to the acoustic is miniscule.
    I agree with you though,that "upgarding" is half the fun,whish I had more money.

9. Chu Gai

Chu Gai Lead Actor

So does California.

10. Dennis Pagoulatos

Dennis Pagoulatos Supporting Actor

Dennis
    Changing out a pre/pro will NOT affect whether your bass is distorted or not. If the term "distortion" is being used correctly, that is directly related to the AMPLIFIER and how much power it has to handle the load the PRE/PRO is demanding it puts out to the SPEAKERS. I think that's pretty much how it works...somebody correct me if I'm wrong here. Oh, and I'm sure the Parasound is a better Pre/Pro than the venerable Sony...it had better be considering the Sony is 7 years old and a whole lot cheaper! [​IMG]

-Dennis

11. Michael Mohrmann

Michael Mohrmann Screenwriter

Short of a flaw in either prepro or the cabling, in general I would agree. From my experience, what can change is the level of the bass response with respect to the rest of the frequencies. Maybe this manifests itself in out of balance bass response in the room. One person's bass peaks is another person's bass distortion.

Michael

12. Mike Keith

Mike Keith Second Unit

A tiny bit of distortion on the input of the amp will be magnified considerably by the time it goes to the output stage. A cleaner signal will evidently make a huge difference in the overall performance in the rest of the chain, or at least in my situation. Same amps same cable's same source, same everything just a cleaner preamp with some much more up to date processing technology and it's that much better in my case. It’s an unavoidable fact that my Subs haven’t bottomed put at much higher SPL then they did before, now I can reach very uncomfortable levels without any clipping, as they say the proof is in the pudding.