What's new

Upgrade from Onkyo TX-DS676 to Onkyo TX-SR601? (1 Viewer)

Matt Brighton

Stunt Coordinator
Hello all, I'm in the middle of a sitation here (though not that big of a deal) and wondered if I could get some advice...

I currently own an Onkyo TX-DS676 that I purchased about three and a half years ago. It has a built in DD/dts decoder and I've been more than satisfied with it. I've never had any problems with it in the least.

I purchased a new HDTV a few years back and now have Comcast HD as well, so this utilizes my component inputs. What I'm wondering is this: Is it worth it or do I really need to upgrade to a new receiver? I've been eyeing the Onkyo TX-SR601, which I've read all great things about. This also includes comoponent switching and has dtsES/DD EX decoding as well.

I just walked out of Circuit City as I wasn't really ready to take the plunge, but if all this receiver offers is component switching, I'm wondering if that alone is enough? But if the processing has been improved and the sound is really that much better; well that'll make my decision that much easier.

Any help and input is appreciated.

Thanks in advance!

John S

Senior HTF Member
If I had an AVR I was happy with, I don't think I would upgrade just to get component switching unless, I was out of inputs. If your out of HD inputs on your HDTV, then it makes much more sense.

I have switched HD through the Onkyo SR501, with great success by the way.

Matt Brighton

Stunt Coordinator
That's my point as well. I still have one set of free component inputs on my TV free, so if that's the only benefit that this new receiver will offer; then there's no point in switching to a new one.

However, if the sound truly is better and it delivers more power, etc. then that would change things...

John S

Senior HTF Member
"However, if the sound truly is better and it delivers more power, etc. then that would change things..."

This statement indicates you may not be completely happy with your current AVR. I have never auditioned your particular Onkyo AVR, but I can say the 501/601's sound really great and high end to me.

You may get a better performance boost out of a meaner Subwoofer to tell you the truth. The meaner the better for HT.

Users who are viewing this thread