What's new

"Upgrade" from GR-Research A/V-1s (1 Viewer)

Yousaf

Second Unit
Heh I'm either too busy with my investment banking internship (8-6 or 7, they expect me to work nearly the same hours as them for the experience I guess) or listening to the speakers that I haven't been able to writing up that detailed review :b :D

I'll copy and paste a preliminary review I did on the AVS Forums:

I really love the speakers I don't want to sound like a fanboy but honestly I can't really say that they do much wrong. Since my only other high-end speaker experience is with the GR-Research A/V-1s, I'll compare the T-22s to those.

While I liked the A/V-1s, the feeling that the sound was slightly muted and perhaps not as detailed or clear as it should be began to grow on me. The T-22s have certainly remedied this. They pick up more low-level detail than the A/V-1s but at the same time they don't seem to be overly analytical to the point that you can't enjoy anything less than a perfect recording. I guess here is where I give the mandatory "I'm hearing things I've never heard before!" comment One of my favorite recordings for both musical enjoyment as well as speaker demos is Dave Matthews Band - Crash (off the Crash album). The intro has a couple guitars and a lot of delicate percussion work, and the T-22s just nail this. They make the sound more realistic and are just more lively than the A/V-1s, even at lower levels.

Guitar and drum work is much more enjoyable on these speakers too. I realize this isn't a fair comparison since the T-22s have a lot more woofer than the A/V-1s but they are just more dynamic. The attack on guitars just feels right and drums are punchier as well. With the better detail on the T-22s the decay of the drums give more of a feeling of air and atmosphere. Once again, it just feels more right. Some people might feel that 6.5" woofers are inherently sloppier than 5.25" drivers but these T-22s give up nothing to the A/V-1s (in terms of overall detail and musicality). Vocals seem about even between the speakers but the T-22s pick up the breaths in between lyrics better.

The bass of course is better on the T-22s and goes low enough for most music. I threw in some Eminem for the heck of it and while the bass won't liquify your insides it has plenty of punch to keep most people happy. I still plan on mating the speakers with a sub, though. The bass retains the speakers' overall fast, detailed characted. When watching movies, I am not afraid to turn the volume up whereas with the A/V-1s I always watched the woofers as much as the movie during more bass heavy scenes as I was afraid they would bottom. The T-22s can be cranked without noticable deterioration in sound quality...my ears gave out before the speakers

The highs have more sparkle than the A/V-1s but they certainly aren't gimmicky or overdone. Once again, it feels about right. The A/V-1s seemed to have less high frequency energy and slightly glossed over music to perhaps make it more pleasing and make bad recordings less noticable, but I'm happier with the T-22s.

There is one area that I feel that the T-22s are bested by the A/V-1s, and that is imaging. Now, there's a good chance I am sitting too close to the speakers and have them mounted too high, but the A/V-1s had better pinpoint placement of instruments. Given that the dynamics and overall tone of the T-22s are more pleasing to me, I still don't feel as though I'm losing much.

Well that's my quick review of the T-22s. Let me know if you'd like to know anything else. Also, keep in mind I have the T-22CFs (which have the $100 carbon fiber woofer upgrade). The normal T-22s are supposed to have pretty much the same sonic character as mine but they just don't go as low.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation111
Recent bookmarks