Upgrade from Denon 3802 to 3803?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by JohnKings, Feb 13, 2003.

1. JohnKings

JohnKings Stunt Coordinator

Can anyone who has compared the two tell me whether this a worthwhile upgrade?

I would really be interested in opinions from those who have utilized both as a pre/pro. Just to put a price on the upgrade, I will loose $200+ in making the change.

Thanks for all comments!

John

2. Mark Russ

Mark Russ Second Unit

I'd say no. If you are going to upgrade, then upgrade. Don't just make a side step. Otherwise, keep what you've got.

3. Kevin_Kr

Kevin_Kr Supporting Actor

I would disagree wholeheartedly, this is a definitive upgrade, better dac's, alpha 24 processing, component upconversion with a bandwith of 100 mhz, and better multiroom control. For $200.00 defintely do it.

4. JohnKings

JohnKings Stunt Coordinator

Anyone who has actually compared the two? DAC's don't mean alot if you can't hear the difference and Alpha 24, multiroom and upconversion mean nothing to me.

John

5. Jamey F

Jamey F Stunt Coordinator

There are other usability features also, like the ability to turn off the sub in all formats. It won't be a huge upgrade unless you need some of the things you've already said you don't care about. I haven't listened to the 3802 so I can't compare the sound of the two, but the extra features were worth the extra $200 easily for me because I had use of many of them. In fact it was the reason to get the 3803.

One more thing, you should be starting your warranty all over again. This is worth several dollars by itself if you have had your 3802 for a while.