Upgrade for Nakamichi AV300

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Kurt Schlagel, Feb 18, 2003.

1. Kurt Schlagel

Kurt Schlagel Auditioning

I recently upgraded my main speakers to Wharfedale Diamond 8.4s and my Nakamichi AV300 (bought in 1998) with 70wpc seems like it could use more oomph to drive them; they sound great but I think they could sound even better. I'm a newbie when it comes to HT as the Nak only has Prologic with a few modes. What would be logical upgrades for this receiver? I also have some Bose 301s that I also use as fronts in the Prologic phantom mode. So I obviously also need to buy a center and maybe a sub. My listening is probably about 60% music/40% HT. I have seen the Nak AV10 on ebay here and there and they seem to be in demand. Can you still buy them new? I have also read some stuff on JVC 8020, Marantz, NAD, etc. and I would appreciate anyone's expert advice. I'm open to any suggestions within $$$ reason.

Thanks in advance

2. Arthur S

Arthur S Cinematographer

Kurt

The Nak AV 10 is still on the Nak web site so it should still be available. I like Nak but the Nak AV 10 will probably set you back about $700-$800. Also, Nak has not been keeping up with the new formats like ProLogic II, Dolby Digital EX, DTS ES, etc.

For about $425 you can get a Kenwood VR 6070 that does just about everything very well. Check around for authorized mailorder sources.

PS A lot of people are going to tell you to get rid of the Bose speakers ASAP. If they sound good to you don't let the peer pressure force you where you don't want to go.

Artie