upgrade for denon ?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Anthony Moore, Oct 7, 2001.

1. Anthony Moore

Anthony Moore Supporting Actor

I have a question. I own the Denon 3802. Dont get me wrong, I love the sound, but if I ever wanted to upgrade with an external amp, is there one thats worth it that I can get for around $500? And I have to get at least a 3 channel, right? Cause if i get just a 2 channel wont that cause things to get out of whack, like the center channel?
    Are there any options in my price range or maybe even a little above?
    thanks

2. Anthony Moore

also, will i get a totally different sound if I hook in an external amp? or will it keep the "warmness" of the denon?
    any input would help
    thanks

3. Bhagi Katbamna

Bhagi Katbamna Supporting Actor

Probably a good idea to get a 3 channel amplifier so that the fronts match. Another idea is to get a 5 channel amplifier and use the 2 left over channels to power 1 or 2 passive subs. I just sold an Anthem MCA 3 on ebay for $500. If you look on audioreview.com or audiogon.com you can get three channel amps for around your budget.

4. Anthony Moore

thanks for the input..can anyone else answer my other question?
    And will pretty much ANY 3-channel external amp be better than the Denon 3802's internal one's for whatever reasons (power aupply, etc)?
    thanks

5. Anthony Moore

^