What's new

Upgrade Fever! (1 Viewer)

Mike_ R_R

Auditioning
I currently own a Sony KP-57WS520 (great RP TV!) However, with the advent of all of this new technology I am currently in the market for an upgrade. My price range is $3000-$5000. Please feel free to give any advice on what I should be looking for. By the way, picture quality is my top priority. Thanks in advance.

Arthur S

Senior HTF Member
Um, in large screen displays, CRT-RPTV offers the best PQ. That is, unless you have a dark room and want to go with a front PJ.

What size are you thinking? Can you do a front PJ?

What is wrong with what you have? The new microtechnologies all have shortcomings.

Are you willing to go smaller screen size?

Thanks

Mike_ R_R

Auditioning
Actually the problem I face is ambient light. During the day it's very hard to see a decent picture even with the blinds drawn. I am aware that the CRT-RPTV's have the best overall picture quality, but have read elsewhere (i.e.Sound & Vision) that some newer version's of microtechnologies have come alongway's in regards to black levels in particular. I would like to stay in the 50"+ range, so a direct view is probably out of the question as is a FP as noted earlier.

Arthur S

Senior HTF Member
It sounds like you want a very bright display. So, we are talking LCD RP, DLP RP, or Plasma. Of the three, I believe plasma is the best compromise. With that in mind, I would recommend the Sony KDE-50XS955. Available for about $4,600.

Jerome Grate

Senior HTF Member
Mike_R_R, some fever you got, that t.v. is less than a year old and you want ot upgrade already. Is there anyway you can darken the room a bit more. Room darkening blinds or curtains that would add to your decor without upsetting it and function to assist you in watching t.v. I have the 51 inch of that model and I tell you I love it. If I leave the door open upstairs and the front door uncovered the light shines through and I still see a pretty good picture. Just a thought.

Michael TLV

THX Video Instructor/Calibrator
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Chen
Greetings

What about just taking the plexiglass off the front of the RPTV?

At least you can do that with the crt rp units ...

Regards

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks