Upgrade dvd player to Panasonic RP56

Discussion in 'Playback Devices' started by Ferdinand C, Dec 6, 2003.

1. Ferdinand C

Ferdinand C Auditioning

Hi all-

I'm looking to upgrade my existing RP56 dvd player since it does not play DVD +R's. In addition, I'm looking for a player that handles DVD Audio. Would the Denon 2200 or 2900 be an acceptable upgrade? My main concern is picture quality and I'm afraid that the picture quality might be worse on the Denon since these models don't use the faroujda chip. Also, don't the Denon's have the chroma issue that the RP56 does not have. Any opinions are appreciated.

Thanks!
    Ferd

2. Don_Berg

Don_Berg Supporting Actor

If you want Faroudja and DVD-audio you could go with the less expensive Denon DVD-1200 model, it has both for around $399. Or the cheaper Mitsubishi DD-8040 has Faroujda and DVD-audio (seems based on the same design as the Denon DVD-1200) for around $250 at Tweeter stores.

3. Bhagi Katbamna

Bhagi Katbamna Supporting Actor

I bought my Mitsubishi DD-8040 a few days ago for $202 including tax. I can confirm it plays DVD+R and DVD-Audio

4. Dan Hopkinson

I went from the Rp-56 to the 2200, I wasn't too concerned about picture quality. I can tell you that I don't see any appreciable difference in PQ.