Upgrade DSP-A1 w/TX950 Tuner to RX-V1?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Chris Taplin, Oct 13, 2002.

1. Chris Taplin

Chris Taplin Extra

Title says it all. What do you guys think? Worth the upgrade?

2. Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Wayne
    You might do what I did a few years ago. I was trying to decide if it was worth upgrading my older DSP-A3090 for an A1. I studied the specs and reviews and decided that the features and improvements the A1 had, I really didn’t have a need for. So I passed.

Personally I’d pass on the V1 for the new Z1. The latter got good marks as a sweet-sounding receiver, but I’ve also heard rumblings of reliability problems – which may explain why it came and went so fast.

One thing’s for sure. The V1 or Z1’s tuner will not be as good as the TX-950, for whatever that’s worth to you. The 950 is a highly acclaimed, near-reference-quality tuner. I have one myself.

Regards,
    Wayne A. Pflughaupt

3. Cliff

Cliff Stunt Coordinator

4. Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Wayne
    Channel drop outs sound familiar. Or perhaps failure of amplifier channels. I haven’t seen chronic complaints about it here, as with some of the Denon products, and I haven't seen a complaint in a long time, but it came up at least a couple of times some months after it was introduced. Perhaps it was just a bad production run, but still you have to wonder why the V1 was cancelled so quickly. This has not been Yamaha’s MO in the past.

Regards,
    Wayne A. Pflughaupt

5. Chris Taplin

Chris Taplin Extra

Hmmm, why replace the RX-V1 w/the Z1? Could it be because of DPL2 and having to keep up with the "Jones"?