1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

Upgrade Center Channel only or entire Front Soundstage?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by jeff lam, Nov 5, 2001.

1. jeff lam

jeff lam Screenwriter

Jeff Lam
    I'm currently runing Def Tech Procinema100 all the way around. I hear that the C2 center is a much better match to the monitor100's so I was thinking of upgrading to the C2 from the procenter100. It occured to me that maybe since I'm spending a lot on a new center I may as well get a great one right? I was already thinking of upgrading my entire front stage to possibly MiniMonitors and the CC-370. My possibilities are: Get the C2 and stick with the Def Techs, Get the CC-370 now and monitors later, get the CC370 and the MiniMonitors together.
    I can't seem to find pricing for the Paradigm products so I was wondering the cost of the three and if the upgrade from the Def Techs will be worth the $$$.
    The C2 retails for $300, how does it compare to the CC-370 and what is the price difference?
    Thanks in Advance!

2. Ricky c

Ricky c Stunt Coordinator

I have the same setup and was planning on also getting the c2.I would stay with the def.tech setup over the paradigms.But thats just an opinion.Maybe someone else has heard both and compared.The def.techs are a great setup.Considered one if not the best Sat/sub setup.

3. jeff lam

jeff lam Screenwriter

Jeff Lam
    I have no doubt that Def Tech makes the best satelite/sub system anywhere, but I think I may be ready to move up to Bookshelf speakers or towers. In my case, Minimonitors on stands on each side of my entertainement center. I also use the system for music too and I think that is where the mini's will excell at over the def techs.

4. Bob_A

Bob_A Supporting Actor

What is your budget for a new front soundstage and/or center channel?
    You might want to look into the new PowerMonitors...good luck!

5. jeff lam

jeff lam Screenwriter

Jeff Lam
    I haven't set a budget yet. I guess what I'm asking is: Will I be wasting my money to buy a C2 if I plan to upgrade the front's eventually anyway? How much is the CC-370? Can someone please post prices for the CC-370 and the mini's?
    I figure if I'm going to spend $300 on the C2 I should get the CC-370 instead(if it's around $300) so I won't have to worry about selling the C2 and getting the CC-370 later when I get the mini's. It would be a waste of money. How do you think it would match to the def techs for a temporary set up?

6. Bob_A

Bob_A Supporting Actor

I have not heard those Paradigms so I cannot say for sure...but I would recommend upgrading the mains first, and then add a matching center channel when convenient. Especially if you listen to some music, the main speakers should take priority IMHO.

7. Ricky c

Ricky c Stunt Coordinator

Jeff; I'm also going to upgrade the fronts.I'm probably going to get Mirage OM7 w/omc2 center.I am going to get the front three at the same time.I think your best bet is to wait and see what mains you end up getting then get the proper matching center.Don't get a center without knowing what mains your going to get.Just my opinion.

8. jeff lam

jeff lam Screenwriter

Jeff Lam
    I think I'm going to get the mini's, unless someone can suggest a better speaker for less money. I'm also still waiting for someone to post the prices for the Mini and CC-370 and the best place to buy them.
    Any suggestions?

9. Paul Spurgeon

Jeff, I believe the pricing on the Paradigm Mini Monitors and the CC370 are both $350 retail, but they can be had for less as a package deal if you buy from any reputable Paradigm dealer. I've found a place that pretty much discounts everything I buy, even if it's only a 15-foot run of Audioquest Type4 along with some banana plugs and a digital coaxial cable. It all depends on how nice the dealer is, because they can be pretty flexible with the pricing (to a point).

10. ErikP

ErikP Extra

I just auditioned the Mini-Monitors and Monitor 7's this weekend. Price were $350 and $650 respectively. I think the CC-370 can be had for under $300.
    ------------------
    "I don't want to kill you and you don't want to be dead!"

11. Paul Spurgeon

In addition to my last post, you're not going to find Paradigms being sold by dealers online. You'll have to go to the paradigm website and use the dealer locator.

12. jeff lam

jeff lam Screenwriter

Jeff Lam
    That's $350/pr right? So the mini's and CC-370 should run me about $650. Is there anything better for that price for the three front speakers?