Upgrade Bug....

Discussion in 'Speakers & Subwoofers' started by Michael Young, Feb 13, 2004.

1. Michael Young

Michael Young Stunt Coordinator

Im looking into some new speakers.

Right now I have 2 Definitive BiPolar fronts the BP6B's

My Center is the ProCenter100

and my rears are the tiny speakers from their ProCinema 100 set.

So Both the center and Rears need to be upgraded eventually.

I wonder if I need to stick with the Definitive line?? and use these BP6B's for my rears?? and get new BP fronts / center??

Or shall I keep these fronts and grab a center for them and use the BiPolar surrounds they sell??

I know Timbre matching is a great thing, which is the only reason I would stick to definitive line?? or would it be ok to get Paradigm Fronts / center, and use the BP6B Definitive towers for rears.

Is Definitive worth the money?? I haven't read anything about these speakers on the HTForum. I feel like I was TAKEN the 1st time, by somehow ending up w/ these PROCINEMA speakers to match the towers I bought. This has been a learning experience for me, but now I know enough to ASK you guys, before I get RIPPED again.

2. Justin_D

Justin_D Stunt Coordinator

Just one thing.
    Bi-poles/Di-poles tend to be a love them or hate them type of thing. Make sure you audition WELL and compare them to other monopoles that are comparable.

3. Michael Young

Michael Young Stunt Coordinator

I think I like them.... now can I get some answers / suggestions?

4. Jesse Sharrow

Jesse Sharrow Supporting Actor

Let me put it this way. I get a huge accomadation on def tech. They have alot of mark up. For hometheater they are great but for music they are not so great.

I personally would look into a whole new setup. But do you listen to movies or music? Go listen to some stuff.

5. Mike Gl

Mike Gl Stunt Coordinator

As Justin D stated, bipolar sound is a matter of taste. If you enjoy the sound and have the space, the BP6 should work fine as rears when you upgrade the fronts.

I upgraded from BP8B front speakers and a C1 center first to BP10 speakers and a CLR1000 center which I enjoyed for five years with BP2X surrounds. Recently, I purchased BP30 speakers with a CLR2000 center and BPX surrounds. I have been pleased with each upgrade.

Some people like the Def Tech powered towers, but my preference is a separate subwoofer. I have dual SVS subs.

Def Tech is bringing out some new models shown at CES. This may create good deals on the models being replaced or the chance to get the latest models.

I have found Def Tech customer service to be very helpful in considering alternatives and not prone to press an upgrade where it is not likely to make much difference. You might contact them at [email protected].

Another useful resource is the Definitive Technology forum at hometheaterspot.com.

There is a significant mark-up on many speaker lines. My friend recently paid $2200 for a pair of B&W 805 speakers with stands. I purchased a used CLR2000 center, used BPX surrounds and BP30 fronts for a total of $1600.