upgrade balance - what next?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Andy Hamric, Mar 3, 2002.

1. Andy Hamric

Andy Hamric Auditioning

Feb 23, 2002
    I'm building my HT one piece at a time, with the priority on sound. I'm content with the 19" TV for the time being.

My current setup:

Techics SA-DA8 (DVD-A ready, 100WPC, MOSFET)

Infinity RS-5 Mains

Infinity HPS center

Old Aiwa bookshelf rears

No Subwoofer

Panasonic DVD-CV51

The question: what should I buy next? I've found that at the high end of my listening levels, I've clipped the RS5s a couple times (Wagnerian opera soprano), which I could prevent by turning down the volume a bit. Also clipped the center on some dialogue from the movie Memento (weird!). Thus, I'm a bit concerned that perhaps I should upgrade the receiver to something more powerful, like an Onkyo or Denon.

I'm also interested in an SV Sub, thinking I might be able to swing a PCi as a graduation present (we're talking grad school graduation, and I'm thinking 16-46PCi).

I also think my center is not particularly musical compared to my mains, sounds a little harsh. Cause - receiver perhaps? Solution - I just listen to stereo mode for music anyway.

Thanks for the input! I'm going to post this in another area too, so don't post twice if you don't want too!
  2. Stephen Houdek

Stephen Houdek Second Unit

Jan 21, 2002
    I'm probably not going to give you what you want here. But I would seriously take a look at another TV. I am building my system around the TV which was my first purchase. As it is the largest component I thought it prudent for sizing and placement of other things.

Food for thought.
  3. Richard Travale

Richard Travale Producer

Feb 27, 2001
    Rich Travale
    By what you have written, I would definitely go for a sub. This would negate the problems that are causing the clipping in the mains and center. Aside from getting a larger TV a good sub(the SVS would be an excellent choice) will make the biggest impact in your HT.