What's new

Upgrade and passing a sub on.. (1 Viewer)

JeremyR

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Jeremy
I just ordered my new JBL 12-in sub from J&R Music world.

A question.. my best friend who is kind of like my little brother always seems to benefit from my upgradeitis (I'd prefer he get the enjoyment out of it as sell it). He will have the benefit of receiving my Kenwood VR-507 when I get my new Yamaha receiver at some point in the next year. Until then.. I would like to pass my 8in Kenwood SW-35HT subwoofer to him when i get this one delivered, it was part of a HTIB, but it was a pretty damn good 8 inch sub and performs still admirably. The issue here is that he is still using my 11 year old Pioneer SX-303R that I gave to him when I got my new Kenwood (he's just out of college and doesn't have the money to do this on his own yet). I'm fairly certain the Pioneer does not have a sub pre-out as it is a 2-channel A/V stereo/receiver. And the subwoofer seems to only have a line-in and no speaker terminals on the back. I know it has an internal crossover however, because it is defeatable for LFE with a switch, and it has a knob on the back to adjust the crossover. I'm assuming we are out of luck here and he won't be able to use my old subwoofer, at least until he ends up with my Kenwood when I upgrade again which could be a little ways down the road.

John_RO

Stunt Coordinator
I'm pretty sure you'll need a sub pre-out to use that old sub unless it has speaker level inputs that you can run to it. Being a HTIB sub, I seriously doubt it.

chuckg

Supporting Actor
You can get or make a little circuit that will "knock down" the level of the speaker outs to where it is at the correct level for the sub's line input. It is really just a few resistors......might make a tiny, unnoticeable difference in sound quality, might not.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation554
Recent bookmarks