Upgrade amp, HK opinions... also what about my old?

Discussion in 'AV Receivers' started by Mike Boniferro, Oct 1, 2003.

1. Mike Boniferro

Mike Boniferro Second Unit

Hi there,
    I have a Yamaha RXV-2095. It's treated me beatifully for a few years now, but now I've got the bug again and am looking for a receiver with some of the newer toys (ie 6 channel inputs for SACD/DVD-A and component switching).

so basically 2 questions:
    1) how much should I be looking for fetch for my 2095
    2) help with picking a new receiver

I've got access to some great pricing on most Harmon Kardon gear... I've been considering the AVR 325 or 525. There is nowhere around that I can do really good demos [​IMG]
    Is there anything that these receivers are missing? Would it be a major downgrade from my Yamaha (other than the 2 features I listed above?)
    thanks a ton!

2. Greg Thomas

Greg Thomas Second Unit

Wasn't the RXV-2095 a $1500 receiver when introduced? If so I'd think you be looking at the HK 7200 in that range. I definitely wouldn't look below the 525.

3. Mike Boniferro

Yes it was, and I was just about to update my post. [​IMG]
    The 7200 wasn't available at the store I was looking at. I don't wanna spend a whole ton of money again, which is why the discount price on the Harmon products sounds appealing... but I also want to have the ability to hook up an SACD/DVD-A player.
    Any comments on the 7200?
    thx

4. Mike Boniferro

no opinions on the HK stuff? or how much my 2095 is worth these days? [​IMG]

5. Greg Thomas

Greg Thomas Second Unit

The 7200 can be found for a little over $1000. Its the flagship of the HK AVR line. It's huge, provides 100 watts x 7 channels of power and has bass management for analog 6/8 channel sources such as DVD-A and SACD.

http://www.soundandvisionmag.com/art...ber=3&preview=

6. Mike Boniferro

I went and checked this one out today, and I think I am a big fan!!
    That S&V article was very helpful, this thing looks like it rocks! are there any downsides that I should know about? (other than the not so well desinged remote)?
    Also, looks like I'm about to put my Yammie RX-V2095 up for sale this week... I would really appreciate some input on a fair starting price.

7. Wayne Ernst

Wayne Ernst Cinematographer

8. Mike Boniferro

Wayne, that price with the exchange rate is pretty much exactly what I would be looking at paying for this. It is strange though how sometimes we pay so much more than our neighbours to the south! (especially on sony products) [​IMG]

9. Doug Brewster

Doug Brewster Second Unit

Mike Boniferro

On the other hand, Rotel and Paradigm are cheaper for you and Canada is the only place to get a decent price on Scotch Mints
    [​IMG]

10. Mike Boniferro

lmao, yah that's true I guess [​IMG]

11. Nick.H

Nick.H Stunt Coordinator

hometheaterforum.com/htforum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=161641

they are great recievers

12. Mike Boniferro

Excellent... now to decide whether I need the 7200 or if the 525 is ok for what I need (as I think it might be)... still sounds like a decent upgrade from what I have, and it'd have those 6 ch inputs.

Anyone out there have a good starting point for my current one? I haven't really been able to find any of these 2095's for sale to get an idea!!

13. Wayne Ernst

Wayne Ernst Cinematographer

14. Mike Boniferro

Well I'm in a 21' long, 13' wide and approx 8' high room. the HT is set up width wise near the middle of the room (cabinets on one side and door/stairs on the other don't permit me to use it lengthwise. I listen fairly loud (when I can, ie little one not home) but not crazy. My RX-V2095 has tons of power for what I am using, so I wonder if the 7200 may be overkill....