What's new

Upgrade amp, HK opinions... also what about my old? (1 Viewer)

Mike Boniferro

Second Unit
Hi there,
I have a Yamaha RXV-2095. It's treated me beatifully for a few years now, but now I've got the bug again and am looking for a receiver with some of the newer toys (ie 6 channel inputs for SACD/DVD-A and component switching).

so basically 2 questions:
1) how much should I be looking for fetch for my 2095
2) help with picking a new receiver

I've got access to some great pricing on most Harmon Kardon gear... I've been considering the AVR 325 or 525. There is nowhere around that I can do really good demos :frowning:
Is there anything that these receivers are missing? Would it be a major downgrade from my Yamaha (other than the 2 features I listed above?)
thanks a ton!

Greg Thomas

Second Unit
Wasn't the RXV-2095 a $1500 receiver when introduced? If so I'd think you be looking at the HK 7200 in that range. I definitely wouldn't look below the 525.

Mike Boniferro

Second Unit
Yes it was, and I was just about to update my post. :)
The 7200 wasn't available at the store I was looking at. I don't wanna spend a whole ton of money again, which is why the discount price on the Harmon products sounds appealing... but I also want to have the ability to hook up an SACD/DVD-A player.
Any comments on the 7200?
thx

Mike Boniferro

Second Unit
I went and checked this one out today, and I think I am a big fan!!
That S&V article was very helpful, this thing looks like it rocks! are there any downsides that I should know about? (other than the not so well desinged remote)?
Also, looks like I'm about to put my Yammie RX-V2095 up for sale this week... I would really appreciate some input on a fair starting price.

Wayne Ernst

Senior HTF Member
The 7200 can be found for a little over $1000.
Unfortunately, the original poster is from Canada. One would expect similar prices after the exchange rate, but from the other threads from other Canadian folks, this doesn't appear to be the case.

Mike Boniferro

Second Unit
Wayne, that price with the exchange rate is pretty much exactly what I would be looking at paying for this. It is strange though how sometimes we pay so much more than our neighbours to the south! (especially on sony products) :D

Doug Brewster

Second Unit
Mike Boniferro

On the other hand, Rotel and Paradigm are cheaper for you and Canada is the only place to get a decent price on Scotch Mints
:D

Nick.H

Stunt Coordinator
hometheaterforum.com/htforum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=161641

they are great recievers

Mike Boniferro

Second Unit
Excellent... now to decide whether I need the 7200 or if the 525 is ok for what I need (as I think it might be)... still sounds like a decent upgrade from what I have, and it'd have those 6 ch inputs.

Anyone out there have a good starting point for my current one? I haven't really been able to find any of these 2095's for sale to get an idea!!

Wayne Ernst

Senior HTF Member
now to decide whether I need the 7200 or if the 525 is ok for what I need
Mike,

Just a few questions:

1) What is the size of your room?

2) How loud do you need your movies to be when you watch them?

I have the H/K AVR-7200. It's a very, very good receiver. However, lots of times I look at it and wonder if it isn't too much for what I need. I'm using mine in 21 x 15 x 8 (feet) room. I watch movies and listen to music at approx. 75dB - 85dB. I have 5 speakers and a 15" subwoofer. In my situation, I feel that the AVR-525 would have been more of a better "fit" - however, the AVR-7200 was purchased at a great price, so I'll stop complaining.

I love the multi-zone feature of the AVR-325, AVR-525 and AVR-7200 receivers. It's great to be able to send audio to another room. In my situation when I only have zone #2 turned on, I've realized that the receiver barely gets warm - unlike when I'm running 5 channels and watching a movie.

Oh, one more thing. The AVR-325 and AVR-525 receivers have cooling fans on the back. However, the AVR-7200 doesn't have one.

Enjoy !

Mike Boniferro

Second Unit
Well I'm in a 21' long, 13' wide and approx 8' high room. the HT is set up width wise near the middle of the room (cabinets on one side and door/stairs on the other don't permit me to use it lengthwise. I listen fairly loud (when I can, ie little one not home) but not crazy. My RX-V2095 has tons of power for what I am using, so I wonder if the 7200 may be overkill....

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks