Real Name
Dennis
Currently have:

Klipsch RF-3 Tower Fronts
Klipsch RC-3 Center Speaker
Klipsch KB-1 Surrounds
Klipsch KSW-10 Subwoofer
Sony DE-875 Receiver

I'm considering an upgrade. I like the fronts and center speakers. Not happy with the Subwoofer. Also just don't often hear the surrounds during movies. I'm considering an upgrade on receiver and Sub. Local HT store suggested an Onkyo 100 watt receiver. Said it would give better sound clarity and more power to the surrounds than my Sony.

Questions are: Is the Onkyo a solid choice, any other thoughts? Any suggestions on a Sub replacement? Finally - the KB-1 are entry-level. Should I upgrade them, as well? Budget is around $2,000

Thanks

Nick:G

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Nick Gallegos
Which Onkyo model did the salesperson show you? Just about any well-built receiver will outperform your existing Sony on a variety of levels (surround steering, channel separation, real-world power, dynamics, etc. etc.).

For $2,000, I would probably split the budget down the middle (half for a new receiver, the other half for a good sub). $1,000 (and perhaps even a little less) can get you the excellent Denon AVR-2807. $600 for a SVS PB-12 NSD (12", 325W BASH amp), and you'll even have some cash to spare in you case you decide to upgrade your surrounds afterall. But, start with the receiver and sub first; those two will make the most significant difference.

Paul_Dunlop

Second Unit
^ yeah that

Also, though it is getting better all the time, the reality is that a LOT of movies don't utilize the surrounds

If you had said that you didn't like the sound of the surrounds, then maybe an upgrade would help

But if you don't hear sounds from them, then it's 1 of 2 things
1. least likely - surround volume is set too low on your reciever
2. most likely - the movies or tv shows you are watching don't have the material for the surrounds

Upgrade the receiver, make sure you run the setup properly and go from there

Hope this helps

Forum Sponsors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
els