Upgrade Advice from nothing to something

Alec

Auditioning
Reaction score
I'm a college student with an intrest in massively upgrading my current (old) system. I have an Aiwa cxnmt720 surround system that i am using a panasonic SU-362 amp (my dad's old) for the main speakers. I know its really bad, but i got it when i was in 9th grade, so its the best i could afford at the time. I'm looking to spend about $1200 (not very flexible - tuition is a killer) on a new system. After considerable research, i have come to favor a HK avr-330 reciever, a JBL EC35 center and the E90 towers (i can use the aiwa main speakers as rears for a while, and the tsw-50 sub is pretty decent). I can get them all at jandr.com for about 1200.
My goal with this system is to last me a while until have a real job and to sound nice with the capabilty of rocking the house. I will be in a dorm next year, but after that i will have an apartment for 2 years. I will be using it for a mix of Music and HT. Do my choices seem decent for those needs? Any advice is greatly appreciated! Thanks.

Jimi C

Screenwriter
Reaction score
You can get alot for $1200, especially if you buy used, check out the hardware for sale section of the forum, always great deals. Also, internet only companies, ie - fluance, axiom, outlaw audio, SV subwoofers all have great products. HK sells reburb models direct with full warranties (if im not mistaken), If you want HK and JBL i would suggest getting used from them http://www.harmanaudio.com/search_browse/default.asp?sp=S&cat=REC&market=HOM.
Used is the best way to go with budgets like ours. You get alot more for the buck. You can essentially put togeather a system worth two, even three times what you pay for it when you buy used.

Chu Gai

Lead Actor
Reaction score
Some ideas at the $2000 price point were suggested here but apart from the JBL's you could consider any of those systems and perhaps going with a Hsu Ventriloquist package with the sub.

Drew_W

Screenwriter
Reaction score
A
U
D
I
T
I
O
N

Only way you can guarantee being happy about your purchase is seeing if you like it first.

Forum Sponsors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Corn Pop