Upgrade 1802 to 3802, Or Go Separate?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Sean_Cunningham, Feb 26, 2002.

1. Sean_Cunningham

I currently have a Denon 1802 driving a pair of Boston Acoustics VR-M60 fronts, a VR-MC Center, Energy Take2 surrounds and a SVS 20-39PC. The setup sounds good, but the receiver seems to lack oomph (power).
    I am about 70% music, 30% HT. I would like to improve the sound quality, volume and features.
    The 3802 and 4802 look interesting at 110W and 125W or so respectively - I am guessing either of these would improve sound quality at low volume, and enable louder volumes.
    The 3802 seems reasonably priced at $900, but I wonder if the difference between it and the 1802 is sufficient to warrant the cost of the upgrade. The 4802 is about $1800, why is it double the cost of the 3802?
    Or, I guess I could by a 5 channel amp for my 1802 now, and upgrade to a better receiver *or* Pre later.
    I am open to other manufacturers, but for no particularly good reason I am partial to Yamaha and Denon.
    Does anyone have any suggestions?

2. KyleGS

KyleGS Second Unit

You could buy a three channel or two channel amp. The 1802 has preouts for the center and fronts. This would allow you to run some real wattage to your fronts for stereo and if you opted for the three channel amp your entire front stage could be amplified. This would save you a little money but if you are ready to upgrade receivers then I say go for that!

3. Sankar

Sankar Second Unit

I tend to agree with KyleGS. I think that you will get the biggest bang for your buck by getting a good quality 3 channel amp for the front soundstage. Most of the action is in the front and by relieving the 1802 from dealing with this load, you will also permit to handle the rears comfortably.