What's new

Updating Home Theater: Pioneer Elite VSX-52, VSX 53, or Yamaha RXA-1010 (1 Viewer)

Real Name
Randy
Geting ready to update my HT to replace by older YAM RX-V3300 and seeking some feedback on A/V receivers. Currently comparing the Pioneer VSX-52 or 53 and the Yamaha RXA-1010. Room will be a 7.1 setup with Definitive Tech BP7002 speakers with matching surrounds and rears.
Like the Apple AirPlay options with the Pioneer, but have been a long time fan of the Yamaha units as this is my second in 15 years with never a problem.
Seeking feedback on these or other options....thanks.

pfar

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Paul
The only real important difference between the vsx-52 and 53 is that the 53 has two hdmi outputs. Not worth the extra 200 unless you need that.

gene c

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gene
And the regular Pioneer 1121 is very similar to the 52.
But things have changed the 3300 came out. I'd wander into a BestBuy that has a Magnolia HiFi in it and give the Yamaha, marantz, Pioneer Elite and Denons a good look. Then down-load the manuals of the ones you like and give them a good going over.
Others to look at are the Onkyo 709/809, Denon 2112/2312, Marantz 5006/6006 and H/K 2650/3650.
Nothing wrong with buying lkast years models if you can do without the latest whiz-bang features, whatever they are. Can save a lot of money that way.

Real Name
Randy
Thanks for the feedback. I have looked at these models a little bit. What's nice about the Pioneer 52 or 53 is the Apple interface with the iPad. Not sure how much interface there is with the Yamaha. Right now, leaning toward the PNR 52, but still have a week or two before I plan to make a decision.
Still seeking other input and opinions as well...
Thanks.

Eric Peterson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Eric Peterson
Randy,
I'm betwen the VSX-52 & 53 also. I stopped in to Best Buy last night and they had the 53 on sale for the same price as the 52. It does not state this online or anywhere else, but in store it is cheaper. This pretty much made my decision for me. I'll probably order mine tomorrow.
The sale goes until the 28th.

Real Name
Randy
Thanks for the tip at BB. While there doing some comparison test, I also looked at the Pioneer SC-55. It looks to be a more efficient receiver with some extra bells and whistles. Is it worth the extra $400 though? Thoughts...

gene c

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gene
Most Pioneer fans Call the SC series the real Elites. It's hard to say what's worth it for someone else but the SC-55 would be worth it to me. The SC-55 will have a much better amp section with it's class D "ICE" amp (even though the 52/53 will be more than enough for most). I bought an SC-35 at BB as an open box for $650 in Sept, sold it for a nice profit two weeks later. Then bought a two year old (but good as new, it really was) SC-27 off Audiogon for $600 shipped. I'm keeping this one :) . I also have an Elite vsx-23 in another room.

Patton508

Auditioning
Question - YAMAHA RX-V673BL or Pioneer Elite VSX-53 (YAM $100 less) Yamaha is rated at 90w and the Pioneer at 110 - but I assume both are powerful enough? Initially the Magnolia gang recommended the Pioneer Elite, but I have always been fond of Yamaha, and I found a great deal on the YAMAHA RX-V673BL for $400 (from 599). The Magnolia guys did a unusually hard sell to of course go right up to the SC-65 which was a turn off. All things being the same I would go Yamaha, but I want the best product regardless of name. I put the order in and of course the next day received a tracking special of the Pioneer Elite VSX-53 at $500 $599 (from higher -BestBuy starting prices are artificially higher) which I thought could be an even better solution. Any thoughts as I could possibly cancel the order and go the other route. Thanks Guy needing to replace his 70W Denon unit - Always had issues with the Denon - voices never clear on it.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks