What's new

Updating home theater - need TV advice (1 Viewer)

NickGiovas

Grip
I am in the process of updating my home theater and am looking for some tv advice.
I just ordered a new Pioneer Elite 45tx receiver to replace my old Dolby Surround system that was starting to show its age. Wouldn't you know it - right after I plop down a chunk of money the picture on my 50" Mitsubishi rear projection tv (8 years old) goes out :angry:. I discovered that a small 2" square circuit board on the center lamp had gone bad. Every repair shop I called wanted to replace the entire lamp - $1500!!
Well, needless to say - I don't want to invest $1500 in an old analog tv. I'm at a crossroad - do I bust the bank and invest in a 65" toshiba HD ready set (one that isn't my dream set, but is more reasonably priced), or do I buy a more reasonably priced 32" analog direct view tv and wait a year to buy the HD set I really want? I had convinced myself to go with the smaller set until I called Comcast and they told me that HD is now availble at my house for no extra charge. My fear is that in a year the sets will have newer options with better resolution, but on the other hand I feel like I am missing out. Help!! What do you think? Is there a smaller set with a sharp picture at a reasonable price that will hold me over until I can pull together some extra cash to buy a better set?

Jan Strnad

Screenwriter
There are some questions only you can answer, Grasshopper. The answer lies within your soul, not within a message board. :)
Wait, and benefit. RPTVs will get better and probably cheaper, but they will start coming with built-in high-def tuners, which could raise the price. You may or may not want a built-in tuner, and if you don't want it, you won't want to pay for it.
You don't say what you most want a RPTV for. Is it DVDs? If so, then you might want to save a few (hundred) bucks and get a 50" widescreen Tosh (or another good brand) which will give you a larger widescreen picture than you're used to, but a larger 4:3 picture than a 32" analog direct view set. Just a thought.
I wouldn't go smaller, though. That's a tough transition to make.
Out of curiosity, what is your dream set?
Jan

NickGiovas

Grip
Thanks Jan. I knew before I posted that I needed to make the decision on my own. For now I have put a cheap GE 27" tv in the spot where I had my 50" and it has been painful. I think that is why I have been wanting to move up to a big screen HDTV. Normally I would wait, but I know these tvs are like computers - they will always get better and the price will continue to drop. The question is when do I want to take the plunge.

I want the tv for a variety of viewing scenarios - regular tv viewing, HD for movies and sports (believe it or not, my wife is more of a sports addict than I am), and DVD/VHS movies.

As far as my "dream tv", I haven't narrowed it down to a single tv, but I have been looking at some of the front projectors as well as a few of the larger RPTVs that are in the $8-10k range. The amount of watching we do has steered me away from the front projection tvs due to the cost of bulbs.

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
Hmmm... If you're willing to spend $8-10K for your dream TV, maybe you should just get the most affordable HDTV you can find that still gives you good size and PQ.

IF you'll still watch tons of 4x3 content, then I suggest considering the Toshiba 50H72, which is a 4x3 set w/ 16x9 squeeze. You can find it on sale at Best Buy for just $1500 right now. This set should hold you over until you spend that $8-10K on your dream set next year or so.

FYI, I almost bought the Toshiba 4x3, but changed my mind to go w/ a Panny widescreen since I don't intend to upgrade for at least 5 years, watch lots of 16x9 content and am willing to sacrifice the 4x3 content somewhat.

_Man_

NickGiovas

Grip
How important is in home shipping on a 65" tv? I'm more concerned with shipping damage than getting it into the house. Has anyone ordered a tv from the net and had it delivered curb side? Did they allow you to check for damage before they left? I'm seriously considering ordering the 65" Toshiba, but I am choking on the $300+ shipping charges.

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
Have you tried OneCall.com then?

They are one of the more reputable online dealers, have good prices, will price-match other authorized dealers, and offer free shipping although I'm not sure if they will offer free shipping for the 65HDX82, assuming that's the one you want. They do offer free shipping for the 65H82.

If you're doing curb side delivery, I guess you can only inspect damages to the box before signing off. At least that's what OneCall tells me. They also quoted me a $100 (additional) charge for their "white glove" service, ie. in-home delivery, unpacking and setup. With the latter service, you should be able to check to make sure the TV's working ok before sign off. FYI, "white glove" cost depends on actual distance from their warehouse so it varies.

_Man_

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks