What's new

Updated the Driftwood (1 Viewer)

BrandonR

Stunt Coordinator
James, I did my drop ceiling out of drywall. I had my brother help me put sheets of drywall up. Once up we then mudded sanded and painted. Ron how did you do you ceiling.

Ron, as far as seating goes. I can probally put a couch or 2 recliners in at the back of the room up against the front (or back of the bar depending on how you look at it) which would have you sitting about 13' from the screen. I could put some seating in at about 8.5" but I think that would be to close unless it was for my kids. What are your thoughts.

Ron-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ron
Mark, thanks for the kind comments. I love the all black room.

As for my ceiling, it is constructed of 2x6's and 1/2" drywall, mudded, sanded, textured and insulated with R-13. James, why not drywall your ceiling? Any reason you want the rail and tile set-up? I do love your color scheme in your room, looks very classy.

Troy, ride looks sweet!

Brandon, any chance you can post pics? I'd say with a 70" screen at 8.5' you'd be just fine. The best thing is to get a roll of that blue painters tape (I like it because it peels up real easy) and tape some screen sizes to your wall and sit back. This way you'll get a good idea of what screen size will work.

Peace Out~:D

BrandonR

Stunt Coordinator
Ron I will try to post some pictures. I have to get a digital camera. When you say 70" are you refering to width or diagonal.

James Bergeron

Supporting Actor
Ron, I have to go with tiles because my ceiling has many wires and water pipes in it. I still want access to these if need be. This method is also less expensive.... another bonus :D.

I am getting the rails for free, so I only need to buy a few things, otherwise drywall is cheaper.

I assumed you meant tiles when you said "drop". That is what I have always heard, a drywall ceiling is finished otherwise it's a "drop" ceiling.

BrandonR

Stunt Coordinator
Ron, here are some pictures of what I hope will be my home theater. I plan on using a front projector. Because of the bar in the back of the room I don't think I will have enough room for two rows of seating so I will be going with the one couch. From my front wall (screen) to my couch is 12' do I have room to but some chairs in or move the couch up and put seats behind it?

Looking to spend about $1500 on projector and screen. I know the projector is going to run around $1100 to $1200. Any suggestions on where to get a screen?

Ron what did you do to cover the front of your air conditioning unit?

Brandon R.

http://myweb.cableone.net/brandonrid...OMETHEATER.HTM

Ron-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ron
Brandon, the link does not work. Try and fix it so I can take a peek. Your main concern with your seating is what size screen you plan on. You can move the couch up and ad seats in the back, but that will all depend on the size of the screen.

As for the AC unit, I just installed a new remote controlled digital model. I built an air deflector for it so it shoots the cool air up to the ceiling, that covered the top face of the unit. For the bottom intake section, I built a frame and covered it with black screen. That still allows for good air intake and blacks out the face fairly well.

I'll take some pics later this week and update the site.

As for a screen, not sure where you can get one on the cheap. I do have a brand new 16:9 matte white Da-Lite wall mount roll down. I'll have to check the actual screen size but I think it was around 70" diagonal. I got it free with my PJ and planned on selling it on ebay.

Ron-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ron
OK, the link worked in your other thread. Great room for a HT. Any chance you can take the bar out?

Ron-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ron
That bar looks like just a stand alone wall so why not remove it and put seating back there? You could throw a couple lazy boys back there, keep your couch up front and have plenty of distance to get in a nice 90" or 100" screen.

The biggest issue you'll have is surround placement, due to the build-out where the door on the right is. But, you can place one set of surrounds in the bar area and another set where you currently have the couch. Should work great.

BrandonR

Stunt Coordinator
Well Ron I went to Home Depot and got the same ac unit as you did. I keep you updated as to how well it works.

Parker Clack

Schizophrenic Man
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Parker
Ron:

Buy the 200u and then make your own screen. This will keep you below your $1,500 price point.

What does the door right next to the bar go to? Is it just a closet? If it is have you considered removing it and the bar so that you can have two rows of seats?

Parker

BrandonR

Stunt Coordinator
Parker the door to the right goes to my hot water heater. The door to the left is my entry into the room. So I put the bar there to make some usable space. If I took it out I would only be able to fit one comfortable chair in there. With the bar I can at least set drinks up there or eat something. I also have room for 2-3 batstools.

Brandon R.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SaladinNagasawa
Recent bookmarks