What's new

Updated the Driftwood (1 Viewer)

Ron-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ron
Took a few pics last night of the on-going construction refurb project. Most is done less a lot of detail work; molding, blacking out the A/C unit, painting...etc. But the pics give you a general layout of the room since the change over to front projection.

Future plans are to buy a new couch and two recliners and get rid of the theater seats altogether.

Sorry about the darkness of some of the shots, the all black room makes it a black hole for the camera's flash.

Peace Out~:D

BobMaslen

Grip
Ron,

Theater looks great.

I remember that you first had the X1. I was sorry to hear about the rainbow problems you were having with it. I just got my X1 about 3 weeks ago and I have to really try to see rainbows. And when I do see them, they do not bother me at all.

Once again, the room looks awesome. :emoji_thumbsup:

Here are a couple of pics of my Home Theater. It is slowly getting there.

http://www.ezlink.ca/~bobtrista/images/ht-001.jpg
http://www.ezlink.ca/~bobtrista/images/ht-002.jpg
http://www.ezlink.ca/~bobtrista/images/ht-003.jpg

Bob

Ron-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ron
Thanks Bob and I must say, very impressive theater. I love the look of your front stage area. I just wish I had that kind of space.

Neil Joseph

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil Joseph
I second the great looking room. I wish I could black-out my room like that right now. The movie experience in your room must indeed be great.

Eric Brunton

Agent
Ron, I must say, what a nice setup. I bow down to you, you give me much inspiration. now only if i can talk the wife into converting our livingroom into such a specticle.

P.S. Is that a beer in one of your pics?:)

Ron-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ron
Thanks guys. Still have a lot of detail work to do, but after all, in this hobby, it seems never-ending. Which of course is not a bad thing. Hopefully this holiday weekend I can just about tidy the room up.

P.S. Is that a beer in one of your pics?
Yes Sir! That'd be my default beer of choice, the Sierra Nevada Pale Ale.

Don Marsh

Grip
Excellent Ron, thanks! I've been anxious to see your theater since the changes.

(BTW, good choice of beer! Sierra Nevada makes some great beers; i especially like their Celebration Ale)

Trace Ahlers

Stunt Coordinator
Hey Ron,
Thanks for the beer tip.
I was looking on the shelves at the store and saw the Sierra Nevada Pale Ale and thought to myself, "Didn't I just read about this stuff somewhere? Must be good if it was mentioned in a book."
So, I got it, drank it, then remembered where I'd read it.
Thanks for invading my head:emoji_thumbsup:
Trace

JawhnM

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Jawhn MacCaine
Looks great Ron! What do you do about the sound from the AC window unit? I also have one in my HT and it's a bit annoying during quiet scenes. BTW... Your site looks VERY familiar (check out my HT site below).:D

Jawhn

Troy Swope

Stunt Coordinator
WOW!! i've been gone for a few months and look what happened, Ron went and did the ole projector thang!! Looks great Ron!

I still have not been able to build my theater in the garage, i had the opportunity to purchase a 100th anniversary HD, so my wife made me choose, her actual words... "Decide, either a home theater, or a new harley, you cant have both!!"

so guess what i chose? sorry to all of my HT brothers out there...

anyway, its great to see that you are still at work, updating, upgrading and building. keep it going brother!!

Todd_B

Second Unit
The room looks great Ron (and so does all the others in this thread).

Great minds think a lot alike. We both own pannys and have our front stage setup the same as well :emoji_thumbsup:

Todd B

Ron-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ron
Talk about look-alikes Todd. Theater looks great!

I sent you a PM Todd.

BrandonR

Stunt Coordinator
Ron I have a similar room setup in my garage its 15 x 10.5 with 4ft in the back that has a built in bartop. I was thinking of putting in a sanyo z1 but i was worryied that my room might be to small. In order to compensate for my garage door I had to put in a drop ceiling at the front of the room where the screen would go. the ceiling height there is 6.9" and it comes into the room about 7 ft then the ceiling goes up to 8 ft. Is your room's ceiling similar to this.

Ron-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ron
Brandon, sounds like our theaters are clones of one-another. The Driftwood is 16'x 9' (outside). Inside, I'm about 15.5'x 8.5'. My ceiling is also a drop due to the garage door. The front half of the theater has an inside ceiling height of 7', the back half is 8'.

With an 80" (16:9) screen my front row is about 10' from the screen, the back row is about 13.5'. The front is a bit close and I can see scan lines and screendoor, but very rarely. In the back row, I have a perfect picture with no visible screendoor or scan-lines.

You will be fine with your theater size. Maybe a slightly smaller screen, say about 70" if your only seating is close to the screen with no back row.

Mark Amayao

Stunt Coordinator
Wow didnt realize you had made some updates.
Looks great. Man I can only imagine how the image would float in that room with all that black!
I bet it would look absolutely amazing. Perceived black level in the picture must be awesome. i think the room looks way more solid and tied together then when the 46" was there. Huge improvement.

I still need to find the receipt I had with the cloth sku#
I told myself I would keep it. ill find it though soon. look forward to more update ron keep up the awesome work.

James Bergeron

Supporting Actor
Ron, did you do anything special with your drop ceiling?

I WILL be doing mine EVENTUALLY. :) I swear!

But I'm worried abour rattles, the room is air tight! Ok ... maybe not but it's close, if I sealed my rack it would be.

Right now nothing rattles, so I'm worried about adding metal beams attached to each other. Did you use the silicone trick where you silicone them all together so they can't move? Did you add weight to your ceiling tiles?

Also, what colour are your tiles and rails for your ceiling? I can only find them in white. I was going to paint the rails with flat black spray but it will be a pain.

Troy Swope

Stunt Coordinator
Ron:

by no means am i an HTML guy, but click my sig or my house and you will see my new baby! For the time being, i will just have to enjoy everyone elses theater until mine comes off the shelf!!

i look forward to seeing more pics of the driftwood!! enjoy!

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SaladinNagasawa
Recent bookmarks