What's new

UPDATED: iPad Event October 16th (1 Viewer)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Carlo Medina said:
I've been waiting for those iMacs for quite some time. If the price/specs are right, I'm in on launch week.

I have a late 2012 27" iMac. It was the first with the improved screen.

It has a 3.4Ghz i7 Processor and 32 GB of ram.

I don't think it's time for an upgrade yet.

I may wait another year. I am saving for a 12" Retina Macbook Air to replace my 15" MBP

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
McPaul said:
Really hoping the 12.9" ipad comes this fall. Im not sure touch id and an anti reflective screen is enough to convince me to buy a 10" one, and the htc nexus tablet specs look awful to be honest. Im not sure if any make for a smart investment right now.My ipad air screen is cracked and splitting quite aggressively these days. I could buy the 4k imac which im really attracted to, and move the mbp to the couch. But im not sure im ready for that form factor in the family room.I wish the answer was obvious but im not seeing it atm.
You remind me that I promised myself that before buying a new iPad, I'd take a look at laptops and make sure that's not what I need.

Having just returned from the gym, where I watched the finale of "24:LAD" on my iPad, doing an elliptical machine, I don't laptops suit my life presently. And iPads don't have to be removed from carry-on at airport security.

For around the home web stuff, maybe a laptop would be better for me than an iPad?

I'll take a good look in a couple of weeks. :)

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
It just looks like a big iPhone 6 Plus! :laugh:

Wow, if that video is accurate, it looks significantly thinner than current gen. Can't wait until the 16th. Come on Apple give us 256GB...

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
So my purchasing plan for the next 6-9 months is taking shape based on more emerging rumors. The rumors I'm reading online are

[*]128GB may still be the max for iPad Air 2 (they'd ditch 16gb and offer 32/64/128)
[*]iPad Air 2 will use A8 chip (maybe speed bumped from iPhone 6 but essentially the same chip)
[*]iPad Pro will be the one to use an A8X chip
[*]iPad Pro will be delayed into 2015 because of Apple switching production capability to iPhone 6 Plus, which is proving to be very popular among consumers worldwide
[*]iMac with retina will likely contain a 5K display at the 27" version
[/list]
My next iPad will need 256GB minimum. If the rumors are true, the ones we'll hear about on the 16th will still max out at 128GB. So I'll wait for the iPad Pro which hopefully will have 256GB due to its larger form factor. This will likely be in Q1 or Q2 2015.

So that means my Q4 2014 Apple purchase will be an iMac with retina (assuming they don't price it ridiculously higher than current iMac models). I'll be interested to see what, if anything, they do with a Mac Mini update though. If price is still cheap, and they upgrade to current CPUs and GPUs, and go all-SSD rather than spinning HD...I may be tempted to pick one up.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Carlo Medina said:
[*]iPad Pro will be delayed into 2015 because of Apple switching production capability to iPhone 6 Plus, which is proving to be very popular among consumers worldwide
[/list]
How is an unannounced product "delayed"?

Nothing personal. But these "non-existent product with no release date is delayed" drive me bonkers.

Unless, the view is the fictional Apple HDTV is now delayed three years and counting. :)

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
I get what you're saying Dave. I think the big difference here is that the Apple TV was only hinted at by Jobs on his deathbed, with no real prototype ever released/leaked/etc. iPad Pro is not a stretch of the imagination at all, it's just like the iPhone 6/6 Plus, a larger version of an existing product. So this, coupled with the leaked specs/images, puts the iPad Pro as likely to be released.

With regards to using the term "delayed" - I think that's just using the assumption that Apple would like to get it out as soon as possible, but production capabilities being redirected to the 6 Plus, which otherwise could have been used to make the iPad Pro and release it earlier than is now possible - that's why they're using the term delayed. But I get what you're saying. If there's no release date, there's no possible way to delay a date that doesn't exist.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Latest rumors are very strong on 2GB of ram and an improved retina HD display
for the October 16th announcement.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Yeah, Sam, these are more than just minor upgrades. If true, happy to see
the addition of RAM and a better display.

Not interested in the bigger model next year.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
What's the rumor for actual for-sale date? I'm wondering if I can get one in time for a trip on Oct 31?

Ted Todorov

Senior HTF Member
I'm upgrading day 1: my current iPad(3) has a cracked screen, and is barely functional. Definitely getting the max, be it 256 or 128.

There isn't going to be long lines of scalpers at the Apple Store for iPads - right????

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks